Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Dead cow would be a must tbh.

Anything nice in the 1.6-2.0 range i'd consider, doesn't have to be an Alfa. Always wanted one though.

Dead cow can be picked up for 100 euro. I wouldn't pht of buying a good one because it doesn't have any. Very easy to retrofit, although harder in post 2000 ones (airbags).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

percy212 wrote: »
    Help me out here everyone. Sadly my beloved e46 died at the weekend. I am looking for a nice comfy luxurious replacement in which I can wear sunglasses and pretend to be a secret agent. 2k budget.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is200-mint-2002-tested/7811255

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

It's a 13 year old car with a three litre petrol engine, what do you think it should be?

I like that Range Rover

Oh maybe a million euro or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sometimes they are cheap because the seller either (a) didn't think to clean the camera lens before taking pictures; (b) smeared a very small bit of petroleum jelly on the lens before taking pictures; (c) as stated above or (d) short NCT.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Esel wrote: »
    Sometimes they are cheap because the seller either (a) didn't think to clean the camera lens before taking pictures; (b) smeared a very small bit of petroleum jelly on the lens before taking pictures; (c) as stated above or (d) short NCT.
    It really is amazing what you can tell from an ad.
    As above - what were the sellers thinking - seriously ?
    On a side note - not washing a car before selling? WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'97 Rav4
    Test Sept '15
    Nice looking little bus
    Asking €975

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1997-toyota-rav4-4x4-nct-09-15-original/7810914

33703146.jpeg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-2002-1-4-nct-3-15/7881595

34034276.jpeg

Good to see good examples of these going into Bangernomics money now. Great cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great cars.

Great cars? I wouldn't go that far. In fact I'd say it's quite the opposite. As a bangernomics car it's neither here nor there. It's not very cheap and ultra reliable like some of the older Toyotas that are brought up here now and then

And at the top of the bangernomics budget, about 99% of cars mentioned here are far nicer / greater and much better value for money

That's all pretty objective. To add my personal opinion: it's one of the worst and most boring cars I've ever driven and the styling must have been done by a robotic clone of a drunk Asian - there is zero style going on, no redeeming features at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-2002-1-4-nct-3-15/7881595
    Good to see good examples of these going into Bangernomics money now. Great cars.

Dead right - they have great reliability and in terms of the class of car they are in are second only to the focus in my opinion.
    unkel wrote: »
    Great cars? I wouldn't go that far. In fact I'd say it's quite the opposite. As a bangernomics car it's neither here nor there. It's not very cheap and ultra reliable like some of the older Toyotas that are brought up here now and then

And at the top of the bangernomics budget, about 99% of cars mentioned here are far nicer / greater and much better value for money

That's all pretty objective. To add my personal opinion: it's one of the worst and most boring cars I've ever driven and the styling must have been done by a robotic clone of a drunk Asian - there is zero style going on, no redeeming features at all.

They arent cheap as they are a good car. They also have the same engine and gearbox as the previous corolla so I dont know what you mean by they arent as good as the older toyotas with the same drive train.

99% of the cars at the top end of the bangernomics budget wont hold their value as well and probably wont be as reliable.

Your third paragraph makes me think you are drunk yourself or else just a racist.

Obviously there are better cars, there are better bangernomics on this page. It depends on your tastes on what you look for in this thread.

But for the average motorist, for a person with a small budget, it's a good choice. Cheap to run, cheap to tax, fairly modern, good build quality and reliable. Those Corollas were a worthy replacement of the previous model, which obviously was famed for its reliability. It'll hold its value and it will be easy to sell and its desirable.

I think the styling is fine. It's not striking or anything, but it's fairly inoffensive.

They tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people, so that makes it good bangernomics imo. No redeeming features is just silly, frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Great cars? I wouldn't go that far. In fact I'd say it's quite the opposite.

The opposite being awful or terrible. That would be wrong by any neutral person's standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Well that escalated quickly! :eek:

I guess opinions are like ar$eholes :)

Me I'd rather a comfy luxurious and safe Mercedes-Benz E200 auto with leather and a good spec for €800 than a €2,200 Corolla of the same age with, I repeat, no redeeming features. The former will cost maybe a tenner more per week in total cost of ownership over a year or two (so only marginally more)

But I guess some of the above posters somehow would be happier owning a Corolla :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Theres no wrong or right. But some people who say "toyotas are great, aren't they" are like people who say Brazil are the best football team in the world. There may have been a time when that was true, but that is long gone and the rest of the automotive world has moved on.

In the general buying public, toyota still have this reputation, and people who know little about cars will pay a significant premium for this perceived peace of mind. That premium makes Toyota and other makes with "Sure aren't they a great car?" reputations less valuable in a pure bangernomics sense.

There are several models out there for significantly less money that are equally as good, and indeed may prove to be a far more enjoyable experience. bangernomics isnt really about resale value, and even then, you are relying on finding another fool who will pay you a premium for it.

As for looks, I aint going there. I drive a croma for gods sake.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

Me I'd rather a comfy luxurious and safe Mercedes-Benz E200 auto with leather and a good spec for €800 than a €2,200 Corolla of the same age with, I repeat, no redeeming features. The former will cost maybe a tenner more per week in total cost of ownership over a year or two (so only marginally more)

But I guess some of the above posters somehow would be happier owning a Corolla :D

Amen to that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Say it, brother! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You honestly think that the extra tax, extra fuel it burns, extra on insurance for a more powerful car will only come up to an extra €520 a year?

Not at all, but that's not the point.

Add in insurance costs, tax, fuel, servicing it will definitely cost more then a tenner a week to run.

Bangernomics is more then nice big Mercs for no money. It's also basic cars for people on a budget, city cars, estates, and the occasional Alfa.

There's nothing more to say so can we get back to the bangers please?! :pac:

• Advertisement

Why are saabs so cheap? I like this one for example....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-3-2005-areo-2005-nct-3-15/7854585

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Why are saabs so cheap? I like this one for example....

yeah I wish they were more expensive :p
    That doesn't look too bad :)

Which Saabs have the sludge issues?

flazio wrote: »
    You honestly think that the extra tax, extra fuel it burns, extra on insurance for a more powerful car will only come up to an extra €520 a year?

Bearing in mind the Merc cost €1,400 lees to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Which Saabs have the sludge issues?

That generation of 9-3 are safe, the pre-2004 (iirc) 9-5s are prone to it as well as the earlier generation of 9-3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

flazio wrote: »

Actually, its €667 a year - about €12 a week. ( based on corrolla 7l/100km v. merc e200 9l/100km over 10k kms)

Insurance, TPO, Male 44yrs Full NCB. Difference is about €100.

Tax Toyota, 1,4litre, Merc 1.8 Litre.

I know where I would rather be!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Never liked Opel's myself, but this would surely be worth a look..?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-opel-vectra-1-9-cdti-ps-njoy/7888223

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Aren't those W210 Mercs just rustbuckets?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

Aren't those W210 Mercs just rustbuckets?

The early ones - yes.

I have a 2001 with no rust and my father has a 2002 with no rust!

Thanks for that info. I might buy that one. Unless someone can point me to a better one! Is there anything I should look out for?

commited wrote: »
    That generation of 9-3 are safe, the pre-2004 (iirc) 9-5s are prone to it as well as the earlier generation of 9-3.

If I was buying a 2.0T Saab I'd want a manual. Will feel faster and wont be as bad on fuel.

Whatever I buy has to be automatic unfortunately....

Does that Saab seem ok otherwise.

My other choice is this merc: http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-c200-kompressor-elegance/7599476

The merc can be had for 1500.
    bear1 wrote: »
    If I was buying a 2.0T Saab I'd want a manual. Will feel faster and wont be as bad on fuel.

Whatever I buy has to be automatic unfortunately....

Does that Saab seem ok otherwise.

My other choice is this merc: http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-c200-kompressor-elegance/7599476

The merc can be had for 1500.

I think I'd go for the Saab tbh. 4 years newer would be what does it for me and I think it is a much better looking car oh and also has more bang for your buck. The Merc looks fairly dull inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Thanks for that info. I might buy that one. Unless someone can point me to a better one! Is there anything I should look out for?

I have the same car but in manual. It's not an aero by the way, it's a 175bhp 2.0t vector. The cars have a balance shaft guide that snaps and means the engines a bit rough. Doesn't affect how the car drives, just means it feels a bit dieselly. Apart from that they're fairly robust apart from the usual suspension issues that you get with any car. I know the cars fairly well so if you need anything done, give me a shout and I'll point you in the right direction.

Waaaaaaay over budget, meets all other criteria though..!
    Test May '15
    Tax Feb '15
    I know I shouldn't post it here but its class.!
    Asking €2,750

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-126-bambino/7885492

34051424.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/7888907

Saab 9-5 estate ..
    No mention of mileage or interior shots :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

jharr100 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/7888907

Saab 9-5 estate ..
    No mention of mileage or interior shots :(

no NCT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

W123-80's wrote: »
    Waaaaaaay over budget, meets all other criteria though..!
    Test May '15
    Tax Feb '15
    I know I shouldn't post it here but its class.!
    Asking €2,750

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-126-bambino/7885492

34051424.jpeg

I may be wrong (don't think I am though) but I would guess that this is the version that was built in Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

no NCT

April 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

April 2015

The disk on thee screen says it's out 4/14

Seriously ugly as fook but good for lugging kids around I suppose

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/sangyong-rodius-luxury-mpv-2-7-cdi-bargain/7697997

NCT 09/15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

bear1 wrote: »
    Seriously ugly as fook but good for lugging kids around I suppose

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/sangyong-rodius-luxury-mpv-2-7-cdi-bargain/7697997

NCT 09/15
    They'd never forgive you. Never.

• Advertisement

April 2015

Nope, Next NCT Due By: Apr 07 2014

(see ncts.ie)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement