Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Its a 12 year old French car with a reputation for being a bit flakey with less than 3 months nct.
    Price is right tbh.

VEHICLE
    Vehicle Registration Number 02D8146
    Vehicle Details PEUGEOT / 307
    Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Purchased by a Dealer on : 30/07/2014

Notified on : 30/07/2014

where can you find that info free online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

where can you find that info free online?

motortax.ie and click on » Vehicle Transaction Enquiry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Too cheap to be true?

Tax and test

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/7958080
    JAGUAR X TYPE QUICK SALE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Too cheap to be true?

Tax and test

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/7958080
    JAGUAR X TYPE QUICK SALE

About right for a quick sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-tt-quattro-1-8-217-bhp/7887505

I'm thinking of looking at this, as a cheap run around for my girlfriend. The seller sounds genuine. It was used to advertise a hair salon for 18 months. I don't know if thats good, bad or irrelevant.

Seeing this on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Seeing this on Wednesday.

Why would the seller say its 1 owner when there's 2. Still really good for 14 years but annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Why would the seller say its 1 owner when there's 2. Still really good for 14 years but annoying.
    Probably says 1 on the book instead of 0.

Presumably he just read it from the logbook where it says no. of previous owners.

It doesn't bother me anyhow, its still rather low, which should be a good selling point come January when we don't need it anymore. If it lasts until January lol.

If only that wrap was a nice shade of blue instead of purple, then that car would looks fantastic. :)

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If only that wrap was a nice shade of blue instead of purple, then that car would looks fantastic. :)

Agreed, but I think I prefer the purple to the silver just because I hate silver. Plus she likes the purple a lot so it can stay for a while.

The ZT version of these are very nice cars, a nice change from the usual diesel Passat, a4, avensis etc.

Agreed, not a big fan of the interiors of the zt though.

Wouldn't mind a bright blue ZT.

That blue that 99% of MGs come in is horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

That blue that 99% of MGs come in is horrible.
    Trophy blue afik? I like it personally

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-gtv-mint/7835418

Love this, and its about €250 cheaper to insure than a TT convertible.

Will fall back on this if the TT doesn't turn out as I hope.

The TT is in a different league, its from a different generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-gtv-mint/7835418

Love this, and its about €250 cheaper to insure than a TT convertible.

Will fall back on this if the TT doesn't turn out as I hope.

A FSH on an Alfa GTV?? Worth every penny he's asking IMO.
    No mention of the TB and pump being done though which at that mileage is coming up quite soon.
    They are 155bhp btw and are very rev happy. Hard to compare a TT and a GTV imo but take them both for a drive and see how you/gf feels.

Different cars, I get that, but if its a 2 door coupe/convertible and it looks pretty, thats good enough. The GTV is really pretty. Even with three months tax put on, it will still be cheaper than the TT....if it doesn't blow up after a few weeks. But that risk is there with the TT too, I suppose...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Different cars, I get that, but if its a 2 door coupe/convertible and it looks pretty, thats good enough. The GTV is really pretty. Even with three months tax put on, it will still be cheaper than the TT....if it doesn't blow up after a few weeks. But that risk is there with the TT too, I suppose...

If that GTV has been as well looked after as the receipts show then your only job is to continue that. It's poor maintenance which has given those cars a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

bear1 wrote: »
    If that GTV has been as well looked after as the receipts show then your only job is to continue that. It's poor maintenance which has given those cars a bad name.

It was sold recently by someone else for a cour of hundred. And the problem with gtvs is that you always have something to replace, one week it might be braided lines, the next week it might be poly bushes. Not because it needs it but because you want too which no one will understand until they've driven one hard and came out with brown trousers.
    I made my brother feel sick getting out of mine today :pac:

It was sold recently by someone else for a cour of hundred. And the problem with gtvs is that you always have something to replace, one week it might be braided lines, the next week it might be poly bushes. Not because it needs it but because you want too which no one will understand until they've driven one hard and came out with brown trousers.
    I made my brother feel sick getting out of mine today :pac:

This is really just a car for her to drive for three months until we pick up her new one in January, and I would like my RCZ back for these three months.

I can't see this than anything other than a run about for three months, but maybe I have to drive it first to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

My hand it's itching to ring after that gtv. What's stopping me is wanting to have mine sorted mechanically first before giving my time to a potential can of worms...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Hal1 wrote: »
    My hand it's itching to ring after that gtv. What's stopping me is wanting to have mine sorted mechanically first before giving my time to a potential can of worms...

Yup, changed owner 3 weeks ago. Could be just someone flipping it for a few quid, or they have figured it needs tb/wp and want rid.

But if it needs that work, then negotiate the price accordingly. If Service history is legit, it could be a keeper.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

A FSH on an Alfa GTV?? Worth every penny he's asking IMO.
    No mention of the TB and pump being done though which at that mileage is coming up quite soon.
    They are 155bhp btw and are very rev happy. Hard to compare a TT and a GTV imo but take them both for a drive and see how you/gf feels.

My one had the timing belt snap on the M50 in rush hour within intervals, despite being well looked after.

And as quad says, they always need something doing, like most alfas.

The OH is after a baby jag bangernomics for all of you hunters out there, no timelimit :)

Yup, changed owner 3 weeks ago. Could be just someone flipping it for a few quid, or they have figured it needs tb/wp and want rid.

But if it needs that work, then negotiate the price accordingly. If Service history is legit, it could be a keeper.

I have the cam locking blocks, tensioner and variator tools in a box somewhere if someone fancies saving this from the great bean can company in the sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

joujoujou wrote: »
    Buy one, get a cat free! :D

34049252.jpeg

There was a pussy-magnet joke just waiting........

• Advertisement

The ad did mention he put a new cat on it.... How literal is that?:confused::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Does the engine purr?

/me quits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The ad did mention he put a new cat on it.... How literal is that?:confused::pac:
    That's the question! :D

One for the 'yota boys:

This looks gorgeous. Price seems a steal for a proper g6r. Longish NCT.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/g6r-corrolla/7964020

34434367.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

34049252.jpeg

He is on the look out for those car invading mice. They usually go for micras, but just in case.......

Stheno wrote: »
    My one had the timing belt snap on the M50 in rush hour within intervals, despite being well looked after.

And as quad says, they always need something doing, like most alfas.

The OH is after a baby jag bangernomics for all of you hunters out there, no timelimit :)

Ha, mine went on my mondeo on the M50 and I still drove it to City west

(Silly Me)

(Silly Me)
    If it drove to city west then your timing belt wasn't broken.

(Silly Me)

Wasnt your timing belt then. Probably the aux drive belt. Car would have continued until it ran out of electricity.

Timing belt would have stopped it dead.

Wasnt your timing belt then. Probably the aux drive belt. Car would have continued until it ran out of electricity.

Timing belt would have stopped it dead.

temp went to max, car started losing power

• Advertisement

That's a drive belt.

temp went to max, car started losing power

water pump failed so, but probably didnt take out the belt as it fell apart (lucky you) but timing belt would have to be done anyway to fix it.

water pump failed so, but probably didnt take out the belt as it fell apart (lucky you) but timing belt would have to be done anyway to fix it.

yes that was it. When I checked under the hood, the belt was in bits

Still hard to believe that in this day and age, belts still drive cars!

Its just one of those things. Belts are generally reliable, if checked and replaced according to schedule. But as the stetho pointed out above, they can still fail (mainly coz they cover them now so you can't do a visual check)
    But chains are no panacea either. Just finished working on an Ibiza that had sheared its chain guides and skipped a tooth after just 42K miles. Merc E200's and late BMW diesels have chains that cause major issues.

Its enough to make you want to get on yer bike :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

One for the 'yota boys:

This looks gorgeous. Price seems a steal for a proper g6r. Longish NCT.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/g6r-corrolla/7964020

34434367.jpeg

That seems decent on paper to be fair. A few points though - you'd be a fool not to check the underside of this for rust, ideally get it put up on a lift.

Also, make sure and get a quote first before you buy, especially being the 1.6 G6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Its enough to make you want to get on yer bike :cool:
    Don't get me started on how much trouble I've had with bike chains.
    Meanwhile here's some German engineering.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/omega-nct-tax/7957737

• Advertisement

yes that was it. When I checked under the hood, the belt was in bits

Belts don't drive cars, they drive the camshafts. They're generally easier to change than chains and don't stretch, ask some owners of 1.5 Almeras and VAG TSIs about chain stretching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Not much Carisma - '02
    Test May '15
    Looks clean
    Decent runabout for an asking of €700.00

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-car/7683359

33079293.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Belts don't drive cars, they drive the camshafts. They're generally easier to change than chains and don't stretch, ask some owners of 1.5 Almeras and VAG TSIs about chain stretching.

Chain problems are still very much the exception rather than the rule. They typically last the lifetime of the car and never have to be changed. Belts are fitted because they are cheaper. That's the only reason. It's cutting corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

unkel wrote: »
    Chain problems are still very much the exception rather than the rule. They typically last the lifetime of the car and never have to be changed. Belts are fitted because they are cheaper. That's the only reason. It's cutting corners.

Correct-and-right. The biggest recurring problem with chains is cheap, lousy cut-rate (usually plastic) tensioners, like on the 4.0l AJ-V8. Subsequent 4.2l versions of the same engine use metal tensioners, available for retrofitting to the 4.0l ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement