Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype Video Calls not working

Options
  • 25-04-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭

Hope I'm in the right section, if not, please push me into the right direction.

For the last week or so, there is some problem coming up, when I'm on to my GF in Germany via Skype video call.

What happens is, I can hear and see her, but she can only hear me.

On her side, there is only a blue screen coming up, where the picture of me is supposed to be, but she can see herself in the top left corner of the screen.

On my side, everything is just fine, myself in the top left corner, herself, where she is supposed to be.

We tried updating Skype, checked ou webcams, switching off the video option, and back on again...the usual stuff recommended by Skype's very own help forum. No joy whatsoever, even just running through Google, both the Irish and the German version brings nothing :confused:

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Have you tried Google Hangout and Facebook Video Call to rule out the problem is with Skype?

https://www.facebook.com/videocalling

It sounds like a proven on her end. Has she tried reinstalling Skype?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Mr. G wrote: »
    Have you tried Google Hangout and Facebook Video Call to rule out the problem is with Skype?

https://www.facebook.com/videocalling

It sounds like a proven on her end. Has she tried reinstalling Skype?

She tried to reinstall Skype alight, but can the problem be, that she didn't get the latest version from the Skype website directly, but from 'Chip'?

And we tried Google Hangouts as well, she can't see me there either.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    She tried to reinstall Skype alight, but can the problem be, that she didn't get the latest version from the Skype website directly, but from 'Chip'?

And we tried Google Hangouts as well, she can't see me there either.

Ok. Well in that case it is probably your webcam. Try uninstalling the web cam driver and reinstall it to see if that fixes it. There may be a setting or something on it. Reinstalling it should remove any.

Ok. Well in that case it is probably your webcam. Try uninstalling the web cam driver and reinstall it to see if that fixes it. There may be a setting or something on it. Reinstalling it should remove any.

Okay...but if it's my webcam, why am I able to see myself? :eek:

Because she tried Google Hangout and Skype, and on neither of them showed your web cam feed. It seems that for some reason your web cam feed is not leaving your PC, even though you can see yourself.

If it was just Skype then you would think Skype is the problem. Therefore if it is happening across several applications, I think it is the webcam or firewall issue.

That's my €0.02 on it anyway.

Try googling issues with your webcam model to see if you find anything?

• Advertisement

Just downloaded the latest version of my webcam's driver. Hopefully, that will help ;)

Okay, latest version of the webcam's driver installed, no joy.

My GF just went to a friend's house, and is using her laptop. Everything is working there without problems.

So it is an issue with the firewall on her own laptop then? If yes, what exactly could it be? Something with Windows 8?

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Okay, latest version of the webcam's driver installed, no joy.

My GF just went to a friend's house, and is using her laptop. Everything is working there without problems.

So it is an issue with the firewall on her own laptop then? If yes, what exactly could it be? Something with Windows 8?

Was she using her own laptop at her friend's house?

Was she using her own laptop at her friend's house?

Sorry for my confusing language :(

My GF was using her friend's laptop.

Righteo, a bit of an update there:

My GF was using her own laptop, everything works fine with Google Plus Video Chat, but still the same issues with Skype?

I guess, it's either her Skype version or her firewall?

• Advertisement
Advertisement