Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QCA & Co-op

• 25-04-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello,

I'm in second year. My QCA for first year was above 2.0. I was told in first year that the first year qca doesn't really matter.

I'm going on co op next year in january but i got a very low qca last semester.

My question is, do companies only look at the QCA you got for the 1st semester of 2nd year? or do they look at both of the 2 semesters? because im really hoping on this semester to bring up my qca.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

From my experience (and maybe it's different in other courses), QCA is only a factor if you're going International, where your QCA has to be above a certain level in order to qualify.

The companies I interviewed with were more interested in the content of the modules I'd done (they will look at all of your modules, 1st and 2nd year) than the grades I'd gotten.

Now, I'm sure there are companies that look at QCA, but I had loads of interviews (think around 8 in total) and QCA was never mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Danger101 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm in second year. My QCA for first year was above 2.0. I was told in first year that the first year qca doesn't really matter.

My question is, do companies only look at the QCA you got for the 1st semester of 2nd year? or do they look at both of the 2 semesters? because im really hoping on this semester to bring up my qca.

Some companies will request only CV from candidates 3.4 and above (cherry pickers)
    most other companies will just take what is given to them and make the choice at interview. It better to do a good interview that worry about QCA.
    I know one person who has a QCA just off the 4.0 and it took 3 or 4 interviews before he got offered a placement.

Show improvement on you transcript and companies are looking for a team player rather than the brains of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

Nobody is telling it to you straight, 2.0 is outrageously bad and even though I know people with 2.1's who got co op, they tend to be completely non educational or unrelated to your course, put some work in to college, or stop wasting your time, 4 years is a hell of an investment to put in and so many people do absolutely nothing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Danger101 wrote: »
    Hello,

Can we please get over the bullsh!t notion that first year QCA doesn't matter!!

Sure, once you get more than 2.0 you've done enough to progress onto second year. The thing that this point of view misses entirely is that the first year modules are the fundamental ones upon which the modules covered in later years are based. If you do a half arsed job in first year, you will spend the other three years trying to catch up.

This also raises an important point for you going forward: the modules you're doing now will be built upon in 3rd year and 4th year, so do yourself a favour and make an effort.

Regarding co-op: results matter more to some companies than others. Ultimately they're looking for some evidence that you're competent at the stuff you've already covered, and QCA is the most convenient measure of that. If your QCA is marginal, then you'll need to make a serious effort in interviews.

Advertisement