Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Council Long Term Leasing Scheme

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

yankinlk wrote: »
    IMHO that comes down to supply and demand. If the CC is struggling to house people then they might replace someone... BUT if they dont need to house anyone and the lease is broken by the RAS/ASH tenant, they wont go out of their way to make it up to the LL.

Unfortunately I know this firsthand in the RAS scheme - there is very little advantage for the LL in reality... open market with rising rents - LL is much better off DIY'ing it or using a service that finds high paying quality tenants.

The problem with ASH - is the part where the market rent is determined by the NEGOTIATION between CC and LL. They will never meet the actual market value.

I should have clarified, apologies ........ the Council can/will offer the Landlord a "replacement" Tenant (if Tenant doesn't want to re-new the lease etc) if the Landlord wishes ......... however under the ASH Scheme the Council is obliged to pay the full rent each and every month until the lease ends even if the Tenant breaks the lease and the property is vacant.

As I stated in an earlier post the Landlord has the option to have rhe rent reviewed on a yearly basis in order to keep in line with Market Rent rises .......... in fact our Landlord came out 50 euros better off under the ASH Scheme than what he was getting renting privately ............... maybe he's a very good negotiator!!! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MadDog76 wrote: »
    in fact our Landlord came out 50 euros better off under the ASH Scheme than what he was getting renting privately ............... maybe he's a very good negotiator!!! :)

Sounds more likely that he was letting the property at significantly below the prevailing market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Sounds more likely that he was letting the property at significantly below the prevailing market rate.

you beat me to it.

i dont care what it says in the cc contracts. goof luck getting that rent paid when tenant moves out. i have real world it actually happened experience. take them to court? i would be bankrupt by the time i saw that money.

No, he was actually charging us the average for the area we live in .......... we looked at a lot of properties in this area before actually renting his house .......... we loved the house even though it wasn't the cheapest to rent.
    The Council had no idea how much rent we were paying the Landlord privately, it was irrelevant to them when negotiating the new ASH Scheme lease.

yankinlk wrote: »
    you beat me to it.

i dont care what it says in the cc contracts. goof luck getting that rent paid when tenant moves out. i have real world it actually happened experience. take them to court? i would be bankrupt by the time i saw that money.

It's in black & white in our lease and it was also verbally confirmed by our Landlord when we all signed the lease in the Council's office with two witnesses who also signed the lease.

Also I know for a fact that SDCC paid the remaining 20 months of a lease on a property that was vacated by the Tenant under the ASH Scheme ............ my wife has relatives working in SDCC.

Were you a Landlord under the ASH Scheme ........ or the RAS Scheme?? There is a quite difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭fantastic98

Hi all. I am in a Galway city council long term lease. My present contract for 2 years comes to an end today may 5 2017. I get on very well with my landlord and am wondering is it up to him to continue the contract or the city council. I hope I put the right heading on this post as I was suspended from boards for a week before . Here's hoping. Can't blame boards. It's my own fault. Cheers.

Advertisement