Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Track and Field Season - Fixture List

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

On top of that, AI have the date listed for the National 10k, but the venue as TBD, so I wonder if it's going to be run separately from the GIR this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

I believe the National Masters has been moved to March so that it's closer to the European Masters Indoor Championships. So it might be a good "warm-up" competition for the Europeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Sacksian wrote: »
    Up yours XC! Indoor fixtures are up:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/competition/fixtures/

January 2015

11/01 National Indoor Club League Round 1 Athlone
    25/01 National Junior & Under 23 Championships Athlone
    31/01 National Indoor Club League Round 2 Athlone

February 2015

01/02 Open Indoor Games Athlone
    07/02 National Indoor Club League Final Athlone
    21/02 National Senior Indoor Championships Athlone
    22/02 National Senior Indoor Championships Athlone

March 2015
    15/03 National Master Indoor Championships Athlone

Leinsters will probably be in February.

Why is Round 2 of National League on the same weekend as the AAI Games? That is a complete nuisance. Basically cuts the amount of competition one could have, as it's fairly hard to race on consecutive days in your preferred distance. I don't get the thinking behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Hmm, that does seem odd alright.

Looking back, it was in January this year, but March suits me!

It has always (?) been January except 2013 which was delayed due to the opening of Athlone. I would prefer earlier but I will have to adjust my plans, maybe I get a few more weeks "base building". I would like to think they moved it to line up better with the Euro Masters but I have my doubts if it is that well co-ordinated especially when I see the double scheduling of the League Round with the same weekend as the Indoor Games. I won't be surprised to see some changes in these schedules yet.

Regarding the National 10K, it does look like a split from the GIR which is scheduled for 5 April with National 10K on the week after.

dna_leri wrote: »
    It has always (?) been January except 2013 which was delayed due to the opening of Athlone. I would prefer earlier but I will have to adjust my plans, maybe I get a few more weeks "base building". I would like to think they moved it to line up better with the Euro Masters but I have my doubts if it is that well co-ordinated especially when I see the double scheduling of the League Round with the same weekend as the Indoor Games. I won't be surprised to see some changes in these schedules yet.

Regarding the National 10K, it does look like a split from the GIR which is scheduled for 5 April with National 10K on the week after.

Well, my target race(s) will be the masters so I'm happier having a few races under my belt before they come round. Not sure if I'll get to run in the League though - a) don't know if we'll have a team and b) even if we do, I'd probably too far down the list for it!

Re: 10k - the road relays were the week after the GIR/National 10k this year, wonder if they'll be the week before the National 10k next year? I don't know how it was done in previous years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

Masters Indoor has been moved to act as build up with Europeans - it's totally deliberate. Outdoors will probably be in late July for same reason - World Outdoors is in Lyon early August.

Well, my target race(s) will be the masters so I'm happier having a few races under my belt before they come round. Not sure if I'll get to run in the League though - a) don't know if we'll have a team and b) even if we do, I'd probably too far down the list for it!

Re: 10k - the road relays were the week after the GIR/National 10k this year, wonder if they'll be the week before the National 10k next year? I don't know how it was done in previous years.

The Indoor League looked quite good last year. Not only could you guest like outdoor, but unlike outdoor they actively encouraged people to run individually if not on a team, so I'd definitely race if I were you.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    The Indoor League looked quite good last year. Not only could you guest like outdoor, but unlike outdoor they actively encouraged people to run individually if not on a team, so I'd definitely race if I were you.

Not around for the first round, but might do round 2!

Seems like all the T&F fixtures are out for next year - with updated details for indoors, including a provisional timetable for Round 1 of the National Indoor League (although there seems to be only three track events?!).

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/competition/fixtures/

I'm already looking forward to next Summer!

24/05 Round 1 National League
    31/05 Leinster T&F U23, Junior, Masters - Tullamore
    19/07 Round 2 National League
    26/07 National Masters T & F
    02/08 National League Final
    08/08 National Senior T&F

Information on the Indoor National League here:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/glohealth-national-indoor-league-is-back

Round 1 has 60mH, 60m and 800m. So I assume Round 2 will have 200, 400 and 1500.

I don't understand the thinking behind putting the 200m and 400m on the same day. For a 200/400 runner there is no chance of getting to run both events realistically. Would be far better to put the 60m with the 400m and 1500m, and have the 200m and 800m on the other day IMO. That way any athlete who doubles up doesn't have to worry about both their preferred events being on the same day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Information on the Indoor National League here:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/glohealth-national-indoor-league-is-back

Round 1 has 60mH, 60m and 800m. So I assume Round 2 will have 200, 400 and 1500.

I don't understand the thinking behind putting the 200m and 400m on the same day. For a 200/400 runner there is no chance of getting to run both events realistically. Would be far better to put the 60m with the 400m and 1500m, and have the 200m and 800m on the other day IMO. That way any athlete who doubles up doesn't have to worry about both their preferred events being on the same day!

Perhaps that is the point

It is designed as a club team event rather than individual so aim to discourage reliance of outliers to a point

ECOLII wrote: »
    Perhaps that is the point

It is designed as a club team event rather than individual so aim to discourage reliance of outliers to a point

If this was the reason then why not put the 800 and 1500 on the same day also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

If this was the reason then why not put the 800 and 1500 on the same day also?

Then you would have one round with no distance races what so ever (albeit then you could add a 3k as well but I think the idea is to keep the time table fairly condense and provide shorter distance races which are not widely available in spring like say 5ks etc

ECOLII wrote: »
    Then you would have one round with no distance races what so ever (albeit then you could add a 3k as well but I think the idea is to keep the time table fairly condense and provide shorter distance races which are not widely available in spring like say 5ks etc

Tbh I doubt very much they have put much thought into the timetable.

For senior athletes we have 2 rounds of league, AAI Games, Leinsters and Nationals. That's 5 meets between 11 Jan and 22 Feb, albeit with 2 on the one weekend.

Any other meets I'm missing? Deliberately left League Final out as I won't be quick enough to get a chance to run in that. Ulster/NI Champs another option, but as that will be in Belfast it may clash with an Athlone meet. Munsters is in Nenagh so won't bother with that one. Connachts are in Athlone, but the week after nationals, and judging by last years results I'd be the only one running senior 400m, so will give that a miss too.

Think I'll do the 60 and 800 double in Round 1 for fun, then it will be only 400s from there on in I reckon.

EDIT: Just seen that Ulster Champs are on an indoor track at Magherafelt. Don't know anything about that venue. Same weekend as NL round 2 and AAI Games anyway.

Ulster Championships are for juveniles (U12 - U19) only. Unlikely there'll be any other indoor meets in Ireland featuring a 200m/400m for seniors. You could travel across the water for additional meets. Scottish (1 Feb) & Welsh (24/25 Jan) National Championships are both open, and there should also be a few open non-championship meets in GB. Unfortuntely the Scottish Championships clash with the AAI Games.

BTW track in Magherafelt is 300m unbanked. Can be quite cold in there, although maybe not quite as bad as Nenagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Last Dec they had some sort of base meeting, any sign of that again? What about graded indoors, did they ever exist?

Haven't seen anything about that "Baseline Meet" this year. So don't know if it's being dropped or if it'll go ahead with details only being announced shortly beforehand.

There are normally a couple of open meets in Jordanstown in December and/or January on Wednesday nights or Saturday afternoons. They normally include 60m, 60m Hurdles and the 5 field events divided over the two meets. It's just a 60m straight there plus field event facilities. Details wil probably appear on the Athletics NI website a few weeks in advance.

Don't recall there ever the equivalent of the graded meets during the indoor season. I guess the indoor season was never meant to be as extensive as the outdoor season. For most athletes, it's just a matter of doing a few meets over a period of a few weeks to guage how winter training is going and to get a break from the slog/monotony of that training. But it's what you do in the summer that really counts!

Oiriallach wrote: »
    Ulster Championships are for juveniles (U12 - U19) only. Unlikely there'll be any other indoor meets in Ireland featuring a 200m/400m for seniors. You could travel across the water for additional meets. Scottish (1 Feb) & Welsh (24/25 Jan) National Championships are both open, and there should also be a few open non-championship meets in GB. Unfortuntely the Scottish Championships clash with the AAI Games.

BTW track in Magherafelt is 300m unbanked. Can be quite cold in there, although maybe not quite as bad as Nenagh!

Thanks a mill for this. The Welsh Championships fit in perfectly to be honest. I might just give this a go. The 400m is on the Saturday so would have the Sat night and Sunday to make a holiday out of it. Never been to Cardiff, and have friends there, so free accommodation. The downside is that I'll be running my very first ever indoor 400m at a National Championships, but feck it, I won't know anybody, so if it goes belly up, nobody will see it! :)

I'd be very hesitant about travelling to UK for an outdoor race. It's a fair distance to go to end up with possibly sh1t weather. But with indoor, you know exactly what you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

2014 AIT Baseline Indoor T&F meet Wednesday, 17 December 2014
    AIT AC currently invites entries for the 2nd annual 'AIT Baseline Indoor T&F Meet' from athletes looking to lay down a marker for the coming indoor season.
    Similar to last year, this will be a low-key event where athletes will have the opportunity to test themselves in several non-standard events on the state-of the-art Athlone IT International Arena track. Eletronic timing will be available.
    While many athletes may not yet feel fully fit, the programme comprises of several events often used in training to assess fitness, or lay down a base-line. So get down to AIT on Wednesday 17th December to lay down your base-line and kick off your indoor season.
    Entries must be made on-line by close of business on Monday 15th December. Cost is €5 per event payable on-line. Athletes must be eligible for senior competition as per AAI rules.
    List of events below. First event 7pm. Timetable to be finalised upon close of entries.
    Events: Open Male & Open Female 60m, 150m, 300m, 600m, 3000m, LJ,SP, HJ
    https://events.athleticsireland.ie/ps/event/AITBaselineIndoorTF2014

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

That 3k sounds appealing! 600m would be interesting, but zero point this early!

• Advertisement

To get to the page on the AAI website re the AIT Baseline Meet (as in the link above) from the website's homepage, what does one need to click on? To my mind, that page seems to be very well hidden!

Advertisement