Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lens to get with a full frame ?

• 25-04-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

Hi folks , so im taking the next jump in photography and upgrading from my trusty nikon D7000 to a D610 . Going halfs with the oul father so its not too harsh on the pocket then.

Just wondering considering the lenses i use for the D7000 arent compatible
    with a full frame camera , anyone have any ideas of what to get?

I mainly shoot landscape and night scenes so something fast and has focus at infinity would be ideal to start me off. Atm use a sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 and the kit lens 55-105mm F3.5 - 5.6 .

I was told the nikon 50mm 1.8 would be a good bet?

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Sigma 35mm ƒ1.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Either that 50mm or the 35mm recommended above would be a good start. Prob the 35 if you're doing landscapes etc.

The bad news is that you're ultimately going to want at least two of the Nikon 'Holy Trinity' - the 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8 and they cost money...lots of it :(

The 14-24 and 24-70 would most likely be what you need with the 14-24 being the more expensive of the two. There are 3rd party options on these as well though, which would make things a bit cheaper, but generally almost everyone that I know tends to gravitate towards the Nikons.

Good luck with the camera..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Just wondering considering the lenses i use for the D7000 arent compatible
    with a full frame camera , anyone have any ideas of what to get?
    i know it's not ideal, but doesn't the D610 'step down' the sensor to maintain backwards compatibility when you use DX lenses?

i know it's not ideal, but doesn't the D610 'step down' the sensor to maintain backwards compatibility when you use DX lenses?

You can use the DX lenses no problem so you can continue on with what you have without too much initial expense. You are though getting the 'crop effect' and not getting the benefit of the Full Frame so ultimately you really do have to get the FF lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Thanks guys , dont think I have the budget this year to go for one of the holy trinity as i'll be paying for the lens myself as he still has his 500mm F4 for his birding.

I m able to get a lend of 2 of them quite often if needed so thats always good .

Thanks for the opinions guys , i might go with the 35mm sigma.

@twowheelsonly the lenses i have now , would they not look like viewing down a tube if i tried using them on a FX camera no ?

• Advertisement

Not sure how the 610 handles it but with other Nikon Full frames you get black shading (square/rectangular) like a frame in your viewfinder that will show what's not in the picture if Auto DX is switched on - i.e. only the central part will be recorded but you can see the rest of the frame through the shading.

There's an option in settings to change to DX lenses which will eliminate this, or indeed to change what image area you want to use.

Go to Shooting Menu - Image Area - Choose Image Area (FX, DX, 1.2x or 5:4)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Not sure how the 610 handles it but with other Nikon Full frames you get black shading (square/rectangular) like a frame in your viewfinder that will show what's not in the picture if Auto DX is switched on - i.e. only the central part will be recorded but you can see the rest of the frame through the shading.

There's an option in settings to change to DX lenses which will eliminate this, or indeed to change what image area you want to use.

Go to Shooting Menu - Image Area - Choose Image Area (FX, DX, 1.2x or 5:4)

Sigma 35mm is a great lens and is next on my hitlist. For some other interesting options - it might be worthwhile checking out the following:

- 50mm 1.8d - cheap as chips and a great little lens, FOV may be too narrow for your landscapes but it would be great for your nighttime work potentially. I got mine on a deal (brand new) for about 100 AUD here in Australia.
    - 24-70mm f2.8g - probably the most versatile lens in my kit bag. It does really well at both landscape and overall day time / night time shooting. If you want an all rounder lens - I think this is a great buy and this lens probably covers 60-70% of my needs. However, like all lenses it has it's drawbacks - it's v expensive, at f2.8 it may not be fast enough for some of your night time work (particularly if not using a flash), and while it's v sharp, it's not as sharp as what a prime lens will give you. However, it might be a good option if you can get a second hand model.

You could also look at some of the cheaper f1.4 lenses second hand. These would be ideal for your night-time work. Some of these lenses are dead cheap, sharp and fast. However, if you go for a lens that pre-dates the d and g series, you'll end up sacrificing autofocus and will need to go manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I think it's best to avoid 50mm because it corresponds a bit too well with human vision and tends to result in undramatic/ordinary shots.

I'd go with either 35mm or 85mm (depending on what you're shooting) to give a bit of impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

50 1.4 is a must, 85mm 1.4 or 1.8 for portrait great. For landscape anything wide angle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

24 - 70 f2.8 Nikon lens for a super all round lens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Logie-1

You can use the DX lenses no problem so you can continue on with what you have without too much initial expense. You are though getting the 'crop effect' and not getting the benefit of the Full Frame so ultimately you really do have to get the FF lenses.

Is this the same for the d750?

Advertisement