Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia sheild

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

LukeyKid wrote: »
    I was just wondering does anyone have an nvidia sheild they look pretty cool and i was really thinking about buy the new one when it released just wanting to no if the first one was good ?

and if anyone wants to read a small bit about it.

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/android/68973-nvidia-shield-2-hardware-spec-seen-benchmark-results/

That link is for the yet-to-be-released Shield 2 (or whatever Nvidia will call it).

I haven't used a Shield 1, don't plan on it, but I have watched plenty of videos on it, so I know about it.
    You will need at least a 802.11n or ac wireless router (a/b/g routers are simply too slow). You will need of course an Nvidia Geforce GPU in your desktop system, preferably a 600/700 series (won't work with AMD Radeon). I'd recommend a 660 or 760 minimum because not only does your computer have to render the graphics like you would normally, it also has to encode them into a video stream on the fly. The 700 series cards have a dedicated chip just for that, so there's minimal performance loss there. If you do get a Shield 1, what I'd recommend on doing to maximise performance on the PC side is to set your PC's resolution 720p, since that's the resolution the Shield 1 has. There's no point in having your desktop at 1080p, rendering your game at 1080p, but then down-grading the resolution during the video stream encoding stage to 720p.
    Also note that the Shield is not compatible with all PC games. Given that it's a controller setup, it wouldn't be ideal for some types of games such as the Total War series for example or an MMORPG, since you're restricted to just a few buttons.
    Also, if you're playing a PC game on the Shield, your gaming PC CANNOT be used for anything else. You can't have the gaming PC stream Arkham City to your Shield and also be playing a Blu-ray movie for example.
    On the plus side, the Shield runs Android, so if your gaming pc is otherwise occupied, you can run Android OS games.

Advertisement