Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headrest DVD player

Options
  • 25-04-2014 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Just got a Nissan Qashqai and am now looking to get a built in headrest DVD player for the kid in the back (maybe 2 as I think they come in pairs, the headrest, not the kids).

Not looking for anything top of the range but something of decent enough quality for playing the likes of Peppa Pig etc.

There is no shortage of portable in car DVD players but I'm struggling to find anywhere in Dublin that does them built in to the headrest.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

You will obviously have to get them specially fitted into your headrests. Might be worth talking to bmstuff, a frequent poster on here who does all that retrofitting stuff, might be able to give you some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

You will obviously have to get them specially fitted into your headrests. Might be worth talking to bmstuff, a frequent poster on here who does all that retrofitting stuff, might be able to give you some advice.

Cheers for the reply, not so sure they need to be retro fitted though. From what I can see online you can just buy 2 new headrests with the DVD players built in to them. There are a set for sale on donedeal for €250 or €350 but there's a joypad with and some other bits I've no need for as part of that package and they've based in Athlone.

Just trying to find a crowd that does them so I could call in and see what they have.

Oh right, didn't know that! And are they specifically for a Qashqai?

Oh right, didn't know that! And are they specifically for a Qashqai?

No not specifically, but I don't know if the headrests in a lot of cars are standard (the width apart of the steel poles etc as appose to the look) so maybe that's how's it works. I'm just surprised that it's harder to source them than I imagined.

Ya, most cars headrests will be different sizes, and as you said the poles will be different distances apart. The poles can be different depths aswell and a different material then whats on your seats now. Just to bear that in mind when you are sourcing them. Sure if you're going into a shop, just pop off one of the headrests and bring it in with you! :)
    I'm not familiar with these specific things, but the only ones I have seen just strap onto the headrests. Are they not an option?

• Advertisement

That's my issue, I'm struggling to find anywhere in Dublin where I can go to see what they have on offer!

The ones that clip on are a pain cause you're constantly taking them on and off for security reasons. The built in ones tend to have the zip cover so aren't really noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you have active head restraints, this complicates things.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you have active head restraints, this complicates things.

I'm not sure what you mean by active head restraints?

They're headrests that move forward in the event of a crash to reduce whiplash.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They're headrests that move forward in the event of a crash to reduce whiplash.

Ok, thanks. This might explain why they aren't as widely available as I thought they would be!

• Advertisement

After a quick google, it appears the active headrests in the qashqai are mechanical and not the fancy pants type.

This may be useful

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=303738

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

In my experience the kits from China (eonon/xtrons etc) with screen integrated are universal and can pretty much be installed in any car. The screens are more or less good quality but the main problem is the lack of adjustment capabilities. In most cases those headrests will stick too much to the back and you won't be able to bring them forward.
    In my opinion the best solution is to attach screens behind the plastic cover of the seats with a custom bracket. Plenty of examples on google images. Looks very oem too. But pricy
    Some companies can integrate them into your headrests too, but that will cost a good bit of money.

The most sensible option for you is probably to find decent screens from halfords and the like and use the system that uses brackets that you attach to both metalic tubes from the headrest.
    This will look decent and the wiring can still be hidden behind the plastic cover of the seat

If you need help with fitting feel free to get in touch

Advertisement