Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Mary's GAA Sligo.

Options
  • 25-04-2014 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

St. Mary's GAA pitch Sligo was the venue of a remarkable match between two U14 teams, St. Mary's V Coolaney Mullinbreana, the latter winning by one point, while the game itself was very entertaining I found the St. Mary's officials nothing short of a disgrace, before I go any further I was not there to support any team but was there on other business, and as an avid GAA supporter I decided to stay for the game.

There appeared to be three St. Mary's officials on the side lines, all of them roaring different advice to a somewhat confused team, at time these officials came on to the pitch to make sure they were heard, condescending remarks and referring to some of the St. Mary's players as 'little bollixes' was the norm.

These officials were supposed to take care of their team and not belittle them in front of their peers, it was nothing short of a disgrace, near the end of the match one player from both teams collided and both fell to the ground, it wasn't a serious incident until the St. Mary's player punched the other guy full force into the face as he was getting up, it was sad that a player felt that he could strike another fellow player in full view of his coach and the ref, needless to say the ref issued a red card and the offender was sent off, however if you seen or heard the attitudes of the officials then you might feel sorry for the young players.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭mosstin

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    St. Mary's GAA pitch Sligo was the venue of a remarkable match between two U14 teams, St. Mary's V Coolaney Mullinbreana, the latter winning by one point, while the game itself was very entertaining I found the St. Mary's officials nothing short of a disgrace, before I go any further I was not there to support any team but was there on other business, and as an avid GAA supporter I decided to stay for the game.

There appeared to be three St. Mary's officials on the side lines, all of them roaring different advice to a somewhat confused team, at time these officials came on to the pitch to make sure they were heard, condescending remarks and referring to some of the St. Mary's players as 'little bollixes' was the norm.

These officials were supposed to take care of their team and not belittle them in front of their peers, it was nothing short of a disgrace, near the end of the match one player from both teams collided and both fell to the ground, it wasn't a serious incident until the St. Mary's player punched the other guy full force into the face as he was getting up, it was sad that a player felt that he could strike another fellow player in full view of his coach and the ref, needless to say the ref issued a red card and the offender was sent off, however if you seen or heard the attitudes of the officials then you might feel sorry for the young players.

Hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i've never heard anything but positivity about st mary's. they have a big program for young players to get involved, lots of community type stuff (charity runs, cycles etc) and some good guys i know on board. surprised to hear the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

promethius wrote: »
    i've never heard anything but positivity about st mary's. they have a big program for young players to get involved, lots of community type stuff (charity runs, cycles etc) and some good guys i know on board. surprised to hear the above.
    Hi promethius,. I can only imagine that the clubs itself is held in high esteem within the community and is run in a very efficient manner, however what I seen that evening was nothing short of a disgrace, to be honest the ref should have done more to quieten things down a bit but he ignored or turned a blind eye to what was going on.

You don't refer to a player as 'a little bollix' as was done by a St. Mary's official, if a yound player is not playing that well his mentor is supposed to encourage him on to play a better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

This is a typical occurrence in GAA, surprised it's taken you this long to experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

thebuzz wrote: »
    This is a typical occurrence in GAA, surprised it's taken you this long to experience it.

Please tell us of your experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

thebuzz wrote: »

It is not an 'occurrence' that I have seen before to be honest in any junior game, there were three St. Mary's Officials that were shouting three different sets of instructions to their players, is it any wonder the young St. Mary's player assaulted the Coolaney player, which I might add I don't condone one bit. Kids need to know that this is a big no no, and the player in question should be reprimanded according to GAA policy.

Advertisement