Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New User - 50 posts

Options
  • 26-04-2014 1:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30

This is BROKE!

A post with a link needed Mod Approval first, then a link was changed to a URL (grand), now I'm redirected to a page saying I can't post a link image or some other bull as I'm a new user.

Come on, make up your minds and sort it.

I thought I read that it was 50 posts or 10 days, what happened to the 10 days part????

I understand the need for the change but grrr. I'm verging on why bother posting at all with this carry on.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pre-moderation was only a temporary solution while the permanent fix was being worked on. The current situation is that you need 50 posts to post links.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭absysrec

Its funny. I am posting since 4 years but not very often, only when I inform about releases on Dublin based record label. Anyone can help ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

absysrec wrote: »
    Its funny. I am posting since 4 years but not very often, only when I inform about releases on Dublin based record label. Anyone can help ?
    Oh dear... it appears you've just flagged yourself as simply a pimp for Absys Records. Expect a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,093 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dades wrote: »
    Oh dear... it appears you've just flagged yourself as simply a pimp for Absys Records. Expect a PM.

The system works!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Overheal wrote: »
    The system works!

Indeed, can feel the heat from that burn through the monitor :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭absysrec

Fever here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Yep, I noticed that myself just there. So much for re-registering. I'll have a long way to go to get full functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scano.ie

annoying indeed but guess a mods gotta do what a mods gotta do

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

eoinp11 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a thread where we can post till we get to 50? Seen that around a few places on other forums.

Why don't you browse the many forums around the site, find topics that genuinely interest you, and engage in meaningful posting in those? That's the best way to get your post count up - using these discussion forums as they were intended to be used.

eoinp11 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a thread where we can post till we get to 50? Seen that around a few places on other forums.

If you post junk all over the place simply to get to 50 posts, invariably you will be reported and all your posts will be deleted. Keep doing it and you'll probably be sitebanned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

An File wrote: »
    Why don't you browse the many forums around the site, find topics that genuinely interest you, and engage in meaningful posting in those? That's the best way to get your post count up - using these discussion forums as they were intended to be used.

Thanks for the information

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

Zaph wrote: »
    If you post junk all over the place simply to get to 50 posts, invariably you will be reported and all your posts will be deleted. Keep doing it and you'll probably be sitebanned.

Oh yea? Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Could it be implemented that someone cannot start threads while having less then 50 posts ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

weisses wrote: »
    Could it be implemented that someone cannot start threads while having less then 50 posts ?

That would be extremely off putting for new users, even if it would save my sanity in N&F. The end result would oblige new users to essentially hijack another thread to discuss their own issue/topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Spear wrote: »
    That would be extremely off putting for new users, even if it would save my sanity in N&F. The end result would oblige new users to essentially hijack another thread to discuss their own issue/topic.

Maybe 50 posts would be to much ... But there are plenty of examples of threads being deleted by mods due to re/regs etc ... Its also off putting for regulars to see threads disappear that one was contributing in ... makes me not want to post in threads started by someone with 10 or 15 posts.

Knife ...two edges ...cutting .. i know

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Huge amounts of new users sign up to ask about their specific issue, and they way to do that is to post a new thread. Putting any obstacles in their way will simply stop them in their tracks from doing so, even a requirement for even a small number of posts.

The other flip side is that disabling new users from creating threads to prevent re-reg trolls from also starting them, would effectively lead to valid new users being held hostage by the trolls. This aspect is simply a necessary evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

What about releasing the lock on posters posting URL's if they verify their Mobile number ?

I can create 700 email addresses in a few clicks. It's a lot more effort to go out and buy a load of SIM cards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Generally when websites start asking for my mobile number is when I stop visiting those websites (hotmail being a good example)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

I'm a member here since 2009 - while I get that the idea of having someone put up 50 posts has it's merits, surely the length of member ship should come into play? I'm hardly going to have waited 6 years to start spamming/trolling/whatever. While I don't post up much, I do visit whenever I'm looking for information on various things and would not consider myself a 'new user' 6 years later!
    I wanted to post up on a humour thread that is awash with images, now I have to invent 24 random posts just to be allowed to join in the fun.

now I have to invent 24 random posts just to be allowed to join in the fun.

Please don't, because they'll only end up being deleted. However I afaik the minimum post requirement has been reduced to 25 posts so I think you should be able to post images now.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Zaph wrote: »
    Please don't, because they'll only end up being deleted. However I afaik the minimum post requirement has been reduced to 25 posts so I think you should be able to post images now.

That is correct. 1perriwinkle, you should be able to post images now that you have 25 posts.

Advertisement