Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Los Angeles

Options
  • 26-04-2014 4:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Heading to los angeles for 4 days next week and was wondering could someone suggest somewhere to stay. One of the days we have planned is heading to six flags theme park which is to the north west of the city (will be hiring a car) and then another day at the beach and a day in LA. Is it worth staying downtown or somewhere near the beaches. Have beenreading reviews of some areas and they are supposed to be dangerous so dont have a clue where to stay. Also anyone any suggestions for things to do. We wont be heading to disney or anhiem

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Firstly, I wouldn't stay downtown, its grand but not a huge amount going on there as its mainly financial apart from Staples and Nokia centre. Seeing as you've never been to LA I'd suggest staying in Hollywood. All the decent hotels will be in safe areas, more central and west hollywood. AS you go east along Hollywood blvd it gets a little seedy and run down. Tourist centre is at hollywood and highland.
    There are also nice hotels along sunset blvd such as chateau marmont.

If you'd rather stay at the beach I'd recommend Santa Monica. Its a really nice area and totally safe. Once you have a car you can go anywhere but it will take time, traffic can be a nightmare on freeways and surface roads in LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

Agree with the above, if it were my first time, I would stay someone like Santa Monica. Beach and with the car everywhere is accessible. There are quite a few nice hotels around the area. Ranging from cheaper to more expensive.

If you DO decide to stay in Hollywood there are a few hotels that are not overly expensive. Mr. C's was fine when I stayed there. (a little out of the main drag but with the car it is simple) If you want the whole experience Peninsula Hotel is fantastic (but damned expensive).

LA can be a very rough city (especially downtown) which is one of the most interesting parts of the city for me. Hollywood is pure dross imho. The housing is amazing and I really love Santa Monica and the drive up and down the coast along Pacific Highway.

Enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

If you fancy going a little out of town i'd go to Huntington Beach,
    it's still cheap enough but a really nice place to be, a few beach side motels to choose from and it's just such a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Uncle_moe wrote: »

If you'd rather stay at the beach I'd recommend Santa Monica. Its a really nice area and totally safe. Once you have a car you can go anywhere but it will take time, traffic can be a nightmare on freeways and surface roads in LA.

I'd echo this; when i stayed in LA I was in Beverley Hills and thought it would have been so much better to be in Santa Monica where there was more walking opportunities; everywhere else is very spaced out. A car is a must - there are fewer taxis in LA than in Cork! (That's not a joke, it's a HAlo statistic.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Last few times I've been out, I've chosen to stay in Pasadena.

It's a relaxed and generally well-heeled spot, with plenty of great restaurants, shopping, parks & museums - all of which are within walking distance. The Metro Gold Line connects with Union Station too, if you want to give the car a day off. Otherwise there's easy access to the freeway.

I've booked blind with Priceline on the last few occasions & bagged the Westin & Mariott for about $135 p/n incl tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Kathnora

A walk on the promenade from Venice Beach to Santa Monica is worthwhile. It's not a short walk (maybe 2 to 3 miles) but it gives you a chance to soak up the atmosphere....view the excellent skateboarders on Venice Beach and the Board Walk stalls (some stallholders don't like being photographed so keep your distance and it's fine) selling jewellery and crafts. There can be a bit of illegal stuff being pedalled too but we (couple in our 50s) didn't feel in any danger. Santa Monica pier has amusements, outdoor concert performances and is generally a lively spot in the evenings. No harm to have an extra layer for evenings too as it can get chilly.
    OP expressed no interest in Disney but we had a brilliant day at Universal Studios. It was magical and I returned to my childhood for a day. They have excellent live shows featuring animal actors performing their tricks and shows that recreate scenes from films. You can do a train tour of film scenes like Jaws and The Grinch etc. It may not be your scene but it had great entertainment value and it wasn't tacky at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

went out there last year, going back in June, Santa Monica and Venice beach amazing,check out muscle beach it's like a scene from a movie,stalls and beachside bars great place for people watching we saw an 80 year old lady skateboarding . Stayed in Glendale fantastic for shopping and great restaurants, thought Hollywood was very tacky and dirty everyone trying to rip you off but it's very funny as well have to be totally open minded, do not pose for photographs with people dressed as celebs they will try to fleece you, bus tours very interesting but shop around,
    Over all fun city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Definitely Santa Monica, as others here have already said. Its really the only section thats walkable and its close to the beach. The next neighbourhood to the south is Venice Beach which is also worth walking around. The section right by the beach anyway.

"Downtown" is the financial and business centre, pretty much dead after 6 in the evening.

As for safety; When you take a look at the map, its the area around the airport and to the east and south thats not "safe". Is not a war zone like it was in the 70's/80's, its just High Crime, and people in these places tend to have guns which makes it a whole lot more serious than what you might find back at home. Probably no worse then Naples or Marseilles.

Have you drive in the US before? Its really easy, one of the easiest countries around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

My post on LA in AH after staying in Hollywood 2 weekends ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89963909&postcount=69

Hazys wrote: »
    My post on LA in AH after staying in Hollywood 2 weekends ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89963909&postcount=69

Ouch. You were walking in LA?

What happened to your car?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I know, spot the tourists!

Hazys wrote: »
    I know, spot the tourists!

Too bad. You should have asked us here first.

The problem with the place is its so spread out there's clumps of shops and activity etc, but not a lot in between so that if you dont like the area youre in the very last thing you should do is to start walking because you'll just end up in a residential area.

And Hollywood itself is something to see because its the old historic city, what left from the 1920's etc, There's probably some old movie connections around the area. Stuff like that. But not for going out at night!

You'd have got on well in Santa Monica.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Any boardsies here Angelenos? I've been approached about a job in LA which I'm not quite sure I can pass up - wanted to see if we have a presence there and/or how people are finding it?

I've lived in the NW before, so know what to expect but not a lot about living in LA.

I'd potentially be working near the Golden Triangle, so would love advice on places to look at within reasonable commuting distance for work. Rent isn't so much of an issue, but would like less than $3k/month (living alone) and I don't need to live near the beach.

Before I go over next month to scout the area I'd like to have a good idea of where to look to see what it's all about.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement