Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice on job hunting in Melbourne?

Options
  • 26-04-2014 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Probably a bad time to be looking for work with all the public holidays but I'm looking to get a start at something fairly lively, have been here almost a week in the eastern suburbs and applied for 30ish jobs through seek mostly labouring work or temp stuff and haven't heard a thing yet.

Hospitality isn't really my thing so looking at factory work or construction, I've worked in south australia doing solar and electrical work but haven't got a licence and don't think il get away with it in the city, I have 6 years experience in plant maintenance in a factory back home and while there seems to be plenty of warehouse and process roles I'm getting nowhere, starting to think I need to tone down my cv a bit just to get some money coming in.

Any advice or help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Gumtree is a good one for casual jobs. It might be just a day or two here and there but it's a start and possibly a good contact to have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

minzabud wrote: »
    Probably a bad time to be looking for work with all the public holidays but I'm looking to get a start at something fairly lively, have been here almost a week in the eastern suburbs and applied for 30ish jobs through seek mostly labouring work or temp stuff and haven't heard a thing yet.

Hospitality isn't really my thing so looking at factory work or construction, I've worked in south australia doing solar and electrical work but haven't got a licence and don't think il get away with it in the city, I have 6 years experience in plant maintenance in a factory back home and while there seems to be plenty of warehouse and process roles I'm getting nowhere, starting to think I need to tone down my cv a bit just to get some money coming in.

Any advice or help much appreciated.

Mate you need to go north there is far more factory work but remember melbourne is going through a bit of a factory work blight with ford closing etc.

There is little industrial suburbs all over melbourne were are you in the eastern suburbs and someone will tell you were to start knocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Thanks for the replies, I'm in the Brighton area and have a car also, hopeful things will pick up next week when things are back to normal.

I've trawled through gumtree a few times now, mostly fundraising and leaflet dropping jobs, the odd labour job requiring your own abn. My girlfriend is working so not panicking yet!

Advertisement