Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

105 Mayo towns and villages to get fibre optic broadband!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hope it's the former :-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's important to note that this is fiber to the cabinet, and it's separate to the ESB plan for fiber to the door.

Here's the list of locations:

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/952C67A4-63D2-4FE6-84E1-3C8B8DCC83FD/0/NBPdestinations.pdf

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

monument wrote: »
    It's important to note that this is fiber to the cabinet, and it's separate to the ESB plan for fiber to the door.

Here's the list of locations:

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/952C67A4-63D2-4FE6-84E1-3C8B8DCC83FD/0/NBPdestinations.pdf

So they will enable the cabinet and really for those who have poor lines to their door it will make no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Local election fodder!

(I live in Westport, 400 metres from an Eircom fibre cabinet which was installed six months or more ago. Still no sign of a fibre connection to our house . . .)

[EDIT: I remember now that I mailed someone in Eircom about this in June last - the cabinet has actually been there for over a year!]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I have my 3 dongle out the window at the end of a 5m active usb cable in the direction of the nearest pole, and my speeds are snail like. Cant see them putting fibre optic down our road, ever. Oh the joys of the countryside :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Oldtree wrote: »
    I have my 3 dongle out the window at the end of a 5m active usb cable in the direction of the nearest pole, and my speeds are snail like. Cant see them putting fibre optic down our road, ever. Oh the joys of the countryside :rolleyes:

Getting fibre to the town's and villages is the first step in getting you a proper service, one that should have been the first step in a national broadband scheme, not gift the money to a mobile phone company who won't share their infrastructure

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Local election fodder!

(I live in Westport, 400 metres from an Eircom fibre cabinet which was installed six months or more ago. Still no sign of a fibre connection to our house . . .)

Eircom have no plans to do fiber to the home in Mayo or most of the country. It's just fiber to the cabinet at best.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Eircom have no plans to do fiber to the home in Mayo or most of the country. It's just fiber to the cabinet at best.

Ok, so what is the point then, if its in the cabinet and not in the home? Sorry I am not well up in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Sorry, should've been clearer. While the final connection to me will still be traditional copper, the point of providing fibre connections to the cabinet is that it makes possible much faster speeds for consumer broadband connections. That's what the "eFibre" product advertised on the Eircom website is.

Coming back to the OP's question, there was a big fanfare when the fibre rollout was announced for Westport, almost exactly a year ago. If my experience is anything to go by, people in the towns mentioned in the recent announcement shouldn't hold their breath while waiting for improved service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

yop wrote: »
    Ok, so what is the point then, if its in the cabinet and not in the home? Sorry I am not well up in this.

It'll still increase the speed imagine it like this, the copper line from your house to cabinet is like a small pipe and can only handle so much flow, and 10 houses connected to the cabinet all have these pipes, then from the cabinet to back up the exchange there is currently another copper line lets imagine this is a slightly bigger pipe, so if all 10 houses are trying to pull liquid down these pipes they are limited by the fact that the pipe from the cabinet to further up the exchange isn't 10 times the size of one of those pipes so you all get reduced flow.

Now they come along and put in fiber and its like a big pipe 10 times the size of you little pipe so even it all the houses are trying to get full flow it can still supply it. So now your new limit is the line from you to the cabinet where as before it had been 1/10th of the cabinet to further up the exchange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

cruizer101 wrote: »
    It'll still increase the speed imagine it like this, the copper line from your house to cabinet is like a small pipe and can only handle so much flow
    <snip>

A clearer pipe image/analogy for a copper phoneline would be a pipe that gets physically smaller as it gets longer. Different DSL technologies are then used to suit the distance of the lines to get the best out of it.

If your line is 10's of meters long you might get 800Mbps to 1Gbps on it (Using G.fast technology which is under early trial at the moment but still at least a year out from being properly available (longer for us here no doubt!)).

When it is a hundred meters long you can get over >100Mbps on it (VDSL2+V). 400 meters long you can get 30-40Mbps on it (VDSL2+V),

At 2km long maybe 16Mbps(ADSL2+), 4Km long, maybe 3-4Mbps etc... (ADSL2+).

With the eFiber DSL products, they can cut the line much shorter than it used to be, instead of going all the way back to your exchange (often 5/6Km in rural areas), it now only travels (hopefully!) a few hundred meters to the nearest cabinet (Where the fiber actually begins!!).

So essentially you can get more data through your same phoneline into your house now that it is so much shorter than it used to be.

So a lot of the investment here will be to get fiber out to these cabinets, get power into the cabinets and fit equipment into the cabinets to drive the DSL to peoples houses and act as the connection point onto the fiber network. Lots of expensive digging and cabling involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

who finally came up with the brainwave
    that we needed fibre optic

took an awful long time to get to this point

and it's still only a pipe dream

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trevor1973

I don't see Belcarra listed in Mayo which is my exchange. I can only get 3MBPS and nothing higher. Why would it be left off the list of towns in Mayo.

Trev

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Its not really that great, even in the centre of Castlebar you cannot get above 24mb broadband, but a few minutes walk in any direction and you can get 70mb, it all depends on the cabinets, just because its coming to your area it does not automatically mean you will be able to get it.

Xenji wrote: »
    Its not really that great, even in the centre of Castlebar you cannot get above 24mb broadband, but a few minutes walk in any direction and you can get 70mb, it all depends on the cabinets, just because its coming to your area it does not automatically mean you will be able to get it.

You are describing Eircom. This is fibre infrastructure which I expect would be open to other vendors, With fibre to towns and villages all providers and businesses could have access to this fibre, even Westnet and the mobile phone companies could use it as their backhaul, everyone benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

24mb would be unreal, would settle for 5mb always on right now.
    I have a funny feeling I'll be still using 3 this time next year tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

24mb would be unreal, would settle for 5mb always on right now.

Even 5mb is like another planet to me... best I have ever had is 1.2Mb. Normally get 0.6-0.8. I am 800 metres from my local cabinet.

What riles me is the almost daily delivered junk mail telling me to sign up for Eircom Efibre or Sky Superfast.......... I wish..... Eircom told me 3 years ago I would have Superfast in 6 - 9 months. Bunch of Twallop!

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    Even 5mb is like another planet to me... best I have ever had is 1.2Mb. Normally get 0.6-0.8. I am 800 metres from my local cabinet.

What riles me is the almost daily delivered junk mail telling me to sign up for Eircom Efibre or Sky Superfast.......... I wish..... Eircom told me 3 years ago I would have Superfast in 6 - 9 months. Bunch of Twallop!

TT

Is there any link to this and who is it been run by?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

Don't knock the fiber to the cabinet as my line is capable of 90 meg I get 81meg download and 21 upload so stop giving out. No one on this planet really needs a whole lot more then that there's plenty there to do everything u need

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

burke027 wrote: »
    Don't knock the fiber to the cabinet as my line is capable of 90 meg I get 81meg download and 21 upload so stop giving out. No one on this planet really needs a whole lot more then that there's plenty there to do everything u need

Having fast internet changes the way you use the net. With fiber i could stream HD movies, right now netflix buffers away.

• Advertisement

You are describing Eircom. This is fibre infrastructure which I expect would be open to other vendors, With fibre to towns and villages all providers and businesses could have access to this fibre, even Westnet and the mobile phone companies could use it as their backhaul, everyone benefits.

All these other vendors just rent the lines from Eircom, they never own them, if you are with the likes of lets say Vodafone you are still using an Eircom line.

All these other vendors just rent the lines from Eircom, they never own them, if you are with the likes of lets say Vodafone you are still using an Eircom line.

No they don't, there are other types of last mile broadband delivery. I'm taking about services other than DSL. Fixed wireless can deliver better speeds with better fibre backhaul. Mobile companies can use better infrastructure to deliver faster speeds too. Everyone benefits. With a vendor neutral fibre network even Eircom could benefit and use it in areas not feasible for them to do themselves

No they don't, there are other types of last mile broadband delivery. I'm taking about services other than DSL. Fixed wireless can deliver speeds with better fibre backhaul. Mobile companies can use better infrastructure to deliver faster speeds too. Everyone benefits. With a vendor neutral fibre network even Eircom could benefit and use it in areas not feasible for them to do themselves

Ah yes they do, regardless if it is the likes of Vodafone, Magnet, UTV ect they all rent lines from Eircom for Fibre and DSL use, fixed wireless has nothing to do with Fibre.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...fixed wireless has nothing to do with Fibre.

Where do you think fixed wireless providers get their bandwidth from?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Where do you think fixed wireless providers get their bandwidth from?

They mainly buy it wholesale from Eircom.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

They mainly buy it wholesale from Eircom.

Actually, they buy it wholesale from all sorts of providers. Who they buy it from depends to a large extent on who has fibre infrastructure in places that are useful to those providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Sorry, link to what?

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    Sorry, link to what?

TT
    Ment for the op, looking for the link on where it says there doing this.
    Honestly what time scale can we expect this or am I Aswell to look else where for the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

NWS_20140204_New_012_30492303_I1.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 trevor1973

can anyone tell me why Belcarra is not among the top 105 towns. We get our broadband from that exchange - only 3MBPS

Where does that leave us ? Manulla is a mile up the road - could we get broadband from that ? if a town is not on the list it seems to have been forgotten?

What future do we have now in regard to a fibre broadband service ?

hope someone knowledgeable can help me out

Trevor

Advertisement