Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal to Dublin - through Armagh?

Options
  • 26-04-2014 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how many people from north donegal who generally travel to Dublin through StrabaneOmagh go straight on at Aughnacloy and through Armagh onto the M1 or do most still go as far as Ardee? I think it's slightly longer distance through Armagh but shorter time wise due to being on the faster motorway for longer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

With the M3 is going via Cavan not as quick??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We go via Belfast. It's longer distance wise than going through Monaghan but it's motorway most of the way and better roads. We got lost on the way back from donegal last year and went the route you suggested. It out about 45 mins to an hour onto the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In all my years travelling from the NW to Dublin, never once did that route, would never have crossed my mind as an option to be honest.

Usually do Omagh-Ballygawley-Dublin and the odd time have done Belfast-Dublin, which is slightly longer in distance but roughly same time due to better, faster roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Any time I go to Dublin (well the past 4 or 5 year) I go straight at Aughnacloy, much better option I find, less traffic (apart from at peak times in Armagh city) the rest is a pleasure it does save some time maybe 15 minutes versus the Monaghan route.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Considering every town after emyvale is bypassed f you join the m1at ardee and the road is pretty good, I dont see how going straight on at aughnacloy is quicker. I went that route a few times but got stuck in armagh traffic. I also once tried cutting across at that petrol station between castleblaney and carrickmacross thru culaville to the m1 but it didn't make it any quicker either.
    In the evening/night I think its still quicker to go through slane/n2 from west dublin.

Why would anyone go the circular route thru belfast???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Have done Aughnacloy->Armagh->Newry quite a bit. It is a quiet enough road most of the time. As long as there is no farm machinery on the move, I nearly prefer it to Aughnacloy->Emyvale->Ardee, but it's much of a muchness.

I tend to go via Cavan most of the time now though. The M3 is one of the quietest roads in the country and now that Belturbet is bypassed, you save more time. Of course, Enniskillen to Donegal is not to everyone's liking. I don't mind it as the roads tend to be very quiet.

If coming from the North of Donegal, it might not make sense to travel the Cavan route however, I don't go further than Letterkenny.

To the poster who suggested Belfast - do you mean that you go Derry -> Belfast -> Dublin?

Yes, assuming Derry is not going out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Have done Derry -> Belfast before and never been too impressed. But, depending how far north you are, I'm sure it makes sense. Derry -> Strabane ain't great either.

Derry to Omagh can be an absolute nightmare, few overtaking spots and often traffic can be toddling along slowly. Get behind a big line of it and you could see your journey time increase dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

NIMAN wrote: »
    Derry to Omagh can be an absolute nightmare, few overtaking spots and often traffic can be toddling along slowly. Get behind a big line of it and you could see your journey time increase dramatically.

I go Derry - Belfast - Dublin. Guaranteed 3 3/4 hours and none of the balls ache that is the A5. Get sandwiched between a boy racer up your rear and a milk lorry upfront and you have a good approximation of road purgatory between Derry and Aughnacloy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

CJC999 wrote: »
    Just wondering how many people from north donegal who generally travel to Dublin through StrabaneOmagh go straight on at Aughnacloy and through Armagh onto the M1 or do most still go as far as Ardee? I think it's slightly longer distance through Armagh but shorter time wise due to being on the faster motorway for longer?

If am leaving from North Inishowen I sometimes get the Foyle Ferry and then go via Colraine and Belfast the road is better than if driving Derry to Belfast, bu you need to time it right to get the ferry or your left sitting in Greencastle for awhile.

But if leaving from Letterkenny I always go via Monaghan I have done Armagh a few times and always find it longer.

Advertisement