Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to NYC advice on shipping pls

Options
  • 26-04-2014 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,
    we are a family relocating to NYC in the coming months. Can anyone tell me the cheapest way or a good company to deal with to ship over our belongings? Would love to hear from anyone who has made the move already. thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I relocated a 1 bedroom flat from Paris to NYC. It cost about 5000e. I'd suggest taking a good look a what you really need to bring and what would just be a lot easier to just buy in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Canty2009

Wow that's v expensive !!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yeah, it sure was! This included a bed, some small furniture (chairs, trunk, rocking chair) but mostly books and clothes, both of which we probably should have sold or left behind. As this is a family moving then you can't just go over with a suitcase but at least leave behind as many electrical goods as possible.

I paid for half of a shipping container, approx. 80 sq feet. The quotes I go ranged from 4 to 6 thousand euro which including packing and delivery (generally you aren't allowed pack yourself due to insurance reasons or if you pack the company will unpack and repack it for you).

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

You should really take a close look at what you need to bring, and then figure out how much it would be to just buy it here.

I don't know what you're moving to in NY, but apartments are generally fairly small (unless you're really spending big bucks) and you may not want a lot of bulky furniture, etc.

Check any electrical appliances to see if they will work on 110V/120Hz.

I'd say you might find it better to sell off as much as you can in Ireland and just replace it when you get here. The last thing you want is to pay to ship a pile of stuff that you don't have room for once you get here. Think about the weather too. You'll need light summer clothing (especially if you're working where you have to dress well) and winters are cold.

There is no tax on clothing in New Jersey, so you could take a day trip to some of the biggest malls in the country and buy clothes.

For city living, IKEA furniture can be a great solution, and they have a big store just off the NJ Turnpike not far from NYC.

Check prices for electrical appliances on Amazon.com - it'll give you a good idea of what you'll pay for things here.

If you want to buy big ticket items, it might be worth taking a ride to Delaware, which has no sales tax. http://www.christianamall.com/

NYC has no sales tax on clothing or footwear up to $110 - http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/business/nys_sales_tax.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Canty2009

Thanks so much for all your advice. It's greatly appreciated. I'll sell off kids wii etc before we leave. I'll be busy !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement