Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connaught Telegraph goes into liquidation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Terrible news. A big part of Mayo's history. Feck that.:(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Thankfully all hope isn't lost for it yet, and it's still being published.

It would be a shame to lose the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

In my opinion, the CT is easily the worst of the 3 Mayo papers. The quality of journalism is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

Connacht wrote: »
    In my opinion, the CT is easily the worst of the 3 Mayo papers. The quality of journalism is very poor.

I would have to agree.

Connacht wrote: »

There's four newspapers in Mayo. Freesheets are newspapers too.

I can't see what's wrong with the Connaught Telegraph. It does a good job at exposing some people to reality when they'd prefer a more censored version of news.

I'd put it first or second on quality of journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Should have become a tabloid size years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I dont rate free sheets as newspapers, all they are is pages of advertising.

Quality of journalism is terrible, only interested in mickey mouse stories. recently in a village near castlebar there was an armed raid on a shop, where two ladies were held at gunpoint while the shop was robbed.

Connaugt reported it on page 12, tiny article but gave nearly half a page to a court case where a drunk threw a few chairs around, Western People did the same.

No effort made to investigate a big story on their doorstep, and then they wonder why people have stopped buying the paper.

Shelflife wrote: »
    I dont rate free sheets as newspapers, all they are is pages of advertising.

They still are regardless, newspapers even if the advertisements outnumber the news stories.

Quality of journalism is terrible, only interested in mickey mouse stories.

First few pages of news are usually include hard news.

recently in a village near castlebar there was an armed raid on a shop, where two ladies were held at gunpoint while the shop was robbed.

Connaugt reported it on page 12, tiny article but gave nearly half a page to a court case where a drunk threw a few chairs around, Western People did the same.

No effort made to investigate a big story on their doorstep, and then they wonder why people have stopped buying the paper.

First, you're saying the Western People did the same. So, if this example could be taken as proof of anything it's that's they treat stories the same -- but one example can't be treated as proof of anything.

Secondly, I don't know much of the details of the case and there could be any number of reasons why the story was not given a better placement -- for example, it could have happened too close to the printing deadline or too many days after it to feature on the cover etc, and there could have been been a lack of information -- the garda press release was thin on info and maybe nobody in Balla that witnessed it was willing to talk? Given the state the paper is in recently maybe they did not have the resources to dig deeper on a story which broke on a Friday before printing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Mayo news led with front page on the story,

No effort made by CT or WP to contact those involved. Suprised as it's on their doorstep,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

The pay for newspapers in the county generally deal in happy stories, a county mayo where there is only good things happen.

I am aware of several stories (bad luck and tough luck) around the county where no coverage was provided. The editor of the western is extremely cautious, conservative newshound who prefers the safety net of good luck stories that don't rock the boat or shock. He keeps the headlines middle of the road, playing to his core audience with GAA stories and informative notes from around the county about how great Mayo is.

The Mayo News is slightly more outgoing and happy to highlight bad luck stories (on occasion) not based in Westport. The Mayo News is more feature driven and definitely readable.

The telegraph is designed to catch your attention and has good headlines. The only problem with it is the poor packaging and styling of the paper.

As for broadcast and MWR in particular, the taking of Mayo based stories from the National media is a sad indictment of news coverage in the media. The Western and other papers are unfortunately not far behind in this regard.

In some respects it is disappointing how the news is not more story driven as opposed to taking stuff off the wire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement