Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaker to offer water to baby when feeding

Options
  • 26-04-2014 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

I've been weaning my son to solids since 21 weeks and he's now 26 weeks. He's now on 3 meals a day and want to offer a little water at meals to get him used to a beaker. I got the same brand beakers as the bottles I use for his milk feeds but he just isn't interested and unable to use them as they have vents to help regulate flow rather than letting the liquid just come out once up to his mouth. Can anyone recommend the beaker they are using that will make drinking his cup of water a positive experience?

Also he's still on 28ounces of milk with his 3 meals during the day so I am not looking to replace milk feeds with the water just to give him a drink during them as I offer his bottle before we sit down for food.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

There's no one cup for kids, they'll pick what suits them and the next one'll pick something different. Buy one of each from Tesco or similar. It'll cost you a few quid but it'll save a lot of time and grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Ok that's not a bad idea at all - I don't mind at this stage as I've bought a few of the same type as I thought they would be great because I stuck to the same brand but nope it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Ok that's not a bad idea at all - I don't mind at this stage as I've bought a few of the same type as I thought they would be great because I stuck to the same brand but nope it didn't work.

Aldi have two different ones in their baby event this week. I think a tommee tippee one and a nuby one which my little man loves!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

When my little one was that age I bought about 5 different sippy cups to find one that she would take.....she wouldn't take any of them. Then at about 7 months she pointed to the 1st one I had bought (of course!) and started drinking from it without a problem. I think she just wasn't ready for it until then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

They'll drink out of anything for you when they're older, up to and including the toilet. They're fussy buggers when they're starting though.

My older fella actually started with a glass, didn't figure out sucking until he was nearly two. Never, ever took more than an ounce or two out of a bottle, even when he was in hospital with bronchialitis. Silly bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Maybe to start off you could try water in a bottle first, so it's just one new strange thing, not two!

I can't for the life of me remember the brand of the beaker I used, it looks like a Nuk but a quick google search brought up nothing I recognize.

It was red and the whole top was silicone squishy in the shape of a beaker top, it worked really well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Maybe to start off you could try water in a bottle first, so it's just one new strange thing, not two!

I can't for the life of me remember the brand of the beaker I used, it looks like a Nuk but a quick google search brought up nothing I recognize.

It was red and the whole top was silicone squishy in the shape of a beaker top, it worked really well!
    That sounds like the nuby one I mentioned above. He loves it.

Gee_G wrote: »
    That sounds like the nuby one I mentioned above. He loves it.

Aha nuby that's the one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

My daughter was a pain in the bum with soppy cups.
    I easily have every cup going..and what did she settle on?? A €2 straw beaker from the pound shop. Built in straw. Not the big massive ones like McDonald's. Those straws are too wide. It's a pink bottle screw on pink lid with a little blue flap you lift to expose the built in straw.
    Might be worth a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Another vote for the nuby one. My daughter took to it so quick and very early.
    Although from about 1 she would drink from anything other than a straw beaker strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Brilliant thanks - I just tried a tommee tippee one after a trip to tesco and had been using avent ones and they didn't work so nuby it is. I will put water into one of the tiny bottles and try that actually just to give him some water. Maybe he isn't ready too of course so I'll stop freaking about him not using one at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

It might just take a bit of time. My little guy turned 11 months on Wednesday and that's the day he decided to drink from a sippy cup. I tried 5 different cups and he just wanted to play with them and make a nice big mess. He had no interest until then, now he's drinking from it like a pro!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I used a free-flow one initially, because he hadnt a clue how to sip out of the ones with the no-drip valve. Then once he got the hang of it, I swapped over to a non-drippy sippy. But it did take about 3 types of cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I tried loads too with no luck. I took the no spill valve out of the tommy tipee one and she drank from that at around 7 months. She still prefers it and drinks way more from it than the no spill one I got recently (because she thinks it's hilarious to shake the tommy tipee one around so the water/milk goes everywhere!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Tried about ten with my eldest - only one had success with was nuby!
    Second daughter I tried nuby first and she loves it! Think its cos water comes out when they chew on it so not just reliant on suck

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Tommee Tippee have a beaker that allows free flow and regulated flow (required sucking). You'll want to switch to the regulated flow once the baby starts getting used to holding the beaker or you'll have water flung everywhere.

Advertisement