Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice - rental property not on PRTB website

Options
  • 26-04-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi All,

Just a quick one to see does anyone know the following;

I have looked up a property we are thinking of renting on the PRTB website and it does not look like it is registered. Is there any way that I could be missing this? I did a search CTRL+F with the address and I also looked through the full list for the area of Dublin it is situated in but there doesn't seem to be anything there.

I know it was rented up until recently, so would it be a case that it has been removed in-between tenacy's or would they bother doing that?

If anyone could help me i'd appreciate it greatly :)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xLollyx

Hi,
    I opened a thread there before seeing this thread and maybe someone can help me...

I'm just wondering if there is any chance that i've missed the property on the PRTB website?
    I did a search using CRTL+F and also looked through the whole list of properties in that Dublin area...

Would it be likely that there could be an error in the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

PRTB website is notoriously poor. I had a place rented out and registered but it never appeared on the site. There appears to be no direct connection between their primary database and what gets displayed online.

thanks a million, i'll wait until Monday and will contact them directly hopefully they can give me more information on the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

It's very likely indeed that the website hasn't up to date tenancy details. I'd be more worried if the landlord or agent gets evasive when you ask to sign the PRTB form. It doesn't matter a lot to you as your rights remain unaffected but it'll be one of the indicators of a dodgy operation.

In general neither landlords or tenants like or even trust the PRTB so they've managed to do one single thing well that should be impossible in this country given our history - unite the majority of landlords AND tenants over one issue.

You'd be better off to search old threads on here talking about the things to look for in a new tenancy and make up your own check list of things to ask about than rely on the PRTB
    xLollyx wrote: »
    Hi,
    I opened a thread there before seeing this thread and maybe someone can help me...

I'm just wondering if there is any chance that i've missed the property on the PRTB website?
    I did a search using CRTL+F and also looked through the whole list of properties in that Dublin area...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

xLollyx wrote: »
    Hi,

I've merged your threads, please don't ask the same question in different threads.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It's very likely indeed that the website hasn't up to date tenancy details. I'd be more worried if the landlord or agent gets evasive when you ask to sign the PRTB form. It doesn't matter a lot to you as your rights remain unaffected but it'll be one of the indicators of a dodgy operation.

In general neither landlords or tenants like or even trust the PRTB so they've managed to do one single thing well that should be impossible in this country given our history - unite the majority of landlords AND tenants over one issue.

You'd be better off to search old threads on here talking about the things to look for in a new tenancy and make up your own check list of things to ask about than rely on the PRTB

i have found prtb a useful weapon when dealing with difficult landlords. better than before they existed

I've merged your threads, please don't ask the same question in different threads.

Thanks

Oops sorry, thanks :)

Ok thanks everyone, will follow up on Monday as they don't open over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Graces7 wrote: »
    i have found prtb a useful weapon when dealing with difficult landlords. better than before they existed

Until you meet a LL who follows all the rules and then you find that the PRTB is an empty threat.
    A lot of the time the PRTB won't enforce most of their own findings unless really hassled to do so, they cherry pick the easy ones it seems from reading threads on here.

As for better than before they existed, I don't know, it'll chase the majority of decent smaller LLs out of business to deal with the minority of asshole LLs. Is it worth it? Imagine this scenario, which is happening around Cork right now;When you have a LL with 60+ houses ie probably 250+ tenants demanding;
    1. rent paid by Standing Order only
    2. regular inspections,
    3. 3 months rent as deposit*,
    4. deposit escrow to be used*,

* = talks of it coming in, it's already used in some places in Dublin according to threads on here and it's widely used on the continent - the model that is most often held up as the ideal by tenants posting on Boards

- now imagine 4-5 of those big LLs all deciding that, or more likely one talks to the other and the 2nd LL sees the benefits then you can easily create a system that is very hard on tenants - but hey, that's what the tenants wanted and got via the PRTB - force the smaller LLs to either stop being nice and meeting people halfway and instead follow the rules perfectly or get out

This is more a general statement than an answer to the quote above;
    So if you get an argumentative LL they'll ignore the PRTB - now you may have won the moral victory, but at what cost to your own health and well being? So what use is a gov. body that only works part of the time? It's of no use to the majority of people, sure if you want to be selfish you can hassle them to attend to your case only but that shouldn't be the case, they should attend to ALL cases

Advertisement