Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Razor for sensitive skin?

Options
  • 26-04-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭

Posted this in the Gentlemen's Club, but then I remembered this forum and thought I might better more advice here.

Basically anytime I have wet shaved my skin has become very irritable, breaking out as the stubble grows back - occurring anytime from 10 hours on. I have used the shortest setting on beard trimmers for years an no problem, however I feel I would look more professional cutting shorter. I think an electric shaver might be the solution as i always see comments like "not as close as a wet shave" which is exactly what I am looking for.

Anyway, boots have the following Remington model for €110: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4441830/c_1/1|category_root|Health+and+personal+care|14418350/c_2/3|19805475|Men%27s+shavers|14418367/c_3/4|cat_14418367|Rotary+shavers|14418368.htm

I know this is probably blasphemy in here, but needs must :eek:
    Hey All,

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but figure its better than starting anew.

I haven't ever really wet shaved, when I used to I got a rash every time, and my face broke out in less than 24 hours. I used good products and good razors at all times. In the last 10 years I have simply used a beard trimmer to keep the stubble in check, and shave the moustache area.

I am now looking for an electric razor that will trim shorter than my beard trimmer but leaving slight stubble - I feel this will result in no break outs. Any advice, recommendations etc most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If you want to go electric I won't try and stop you. I would really look in to the best reviewed model for the money, don't forget to consider amazon.co.uk (select seller: amazon.co.uk to get free shipping; easy returns) for more variety and value. At least use amazon for the reviews and advice.

If you don't want to go in to it, that's okay, but I have to ask what gear and method are you using for wet shaving? I have a thick beard but sensitive skin and had problems with my neck being raw my entire adult life until I discovered traditional wet shaving with a safety razor.

detail_39_MK_1008.gif

In particular this addressed my ingrown hairs. As a traditional razor glides over the skin while slicing your beard there is no "tug" from the multiple blades which lifts, cuts, releases, and then that follicle is below the skin surface which can become a problem. One premium DE blade (costing just cents per blade) is always going to be far better than 3 lousy blades in a mach3. The trick is they're so cheap you can afford to replace them every other shave so you always have the sharpest possible blade which cuts like a hot knife through butter and leaves your skin better off for the scrub of the brush and benefits of a decent shaving soap. If you can spare some time to relearn shaving you can get the best possible shave even with the most sensitive skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hi newkie,

Its been a long time since I wet shaved, other than with my moustache. I've always used a Mach 3, roasting hot water, and generally a gel rather than foam. Would use plenty of moisturiser after.

I have some antique shaving equipment at home including 2 of the razors you attached. I don't have that think a beard or stubble, but looks messy after 2 days no attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

budhabob wrote: »
    Hi newkie,

Its been a long time since I wet shaved, other than with my moustache. I've always used a Mach 3, roasting hot water, and generally a gel rather than foam. Would use plenty of moisturiser after.

I have some antique shaving equipment at home including 2 of the razors you attached. I don't have that think a beard or stubble, but looks messy after 2 days no attention.

I was similar - hated shaving would shave once a week at most, less if I could avoid it. Electric razors didn't help much.

With a DE (and a blade that suits my skin (feather or persona)) I can shave everyday with no irritation or annoyance.

(Also at the weekend now use a straight to spoil myself)

tunney wrote: »
    I was similar - hated shaving would shave once a week at most, less if I could avoid it. Electric razors didn't help much.

With a DE (and a blade that suits my skin (feather or persona)) I can shave everyday with no irritation or annoyance.

(Also at the weekend now use a straight to spoil myself)

Where do you buy your blades from? might give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

budhabob wrote: »
    Where do you buy your blades from? might give it a go.

www.shaving.ie for the DE blades

You need proper shaving soap cream/soap and a brush too.

Personally I prefer soap.

You already have the razor (although what it is and the level of aggressiveness I don't know)

I'd get a pack of any ten blades, learn your technique and then when that is good I'd get this 2 blade sampler http://www.shaving.ie/products/two-of-a-kind-de-blade-sample-pack.html Otherwise you'd end up hating blades when its the fault of your technique.

A brush from here http://www.shaving.ie/badger/

and some soap (I hate arko but something cheap)

Away you go.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll give it a go.

Advertisement