Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cpu problem

Options
  • 26-04-2014 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

i have an old dell dimension 3100c it has a Intel Pentium 531 which has a 775 socket and i have a Intel e5400 which is a lot better CPU and has the same socket but it doesn't work ? I highly doubt it is broke it was working about 6 weeks ago and hasn't been touched since. I'm guessing that its down to dells motherboard ? That's all i can really think it can be but please correct me if i'm wrong.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

LukeyKid wrote: »
    i have an old dell dimension 3100c it has a Intel Pentium 531 which has a 775 socket and i have a Intel e5400 which is a lot better CPU and has the same socket but it doesn't work ? I highly doubt it is broke it was working about 6 weeks ago and hasn't been touched since. I'm guessing that its down to dells motherboard ? That's all i can really think it can be but please correct me if i'm wrong.

Does the original CPU still work ok? That should rule out a socket issue. It is quite possible the motherboard just isn't compatible with the newer CPU, even if they share the same socket. It would be worth booting with the old CPU and flashing the latest bios update for the motherboard. This may add compatibility for the e5400

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

yoyo wrote: »
    Does the original CPU still work ok? That should rule out a socket issue. It is quite possible the motherboard just isn't compatible with the newer CPU, even if they share the same socket. It would be worth booting with the old CPU and flashing the latest bios update for the motherboard. This may add compatibility for the e5400

Nick

yeah the old CPU works perfect, That's what i was think that the mother board just doesn't support it. Ill try that thanks :)

Advertisement