Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video of mum beating daughter over FB posts/ texts

Options
  • 26-04-2014 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

So some woman in Trinidad posts a video of herself beating her daughter (12) for posting "provocative" photos on FB
    While I don't think beating your kid is the answer kids do need to learn how to exercise appropriate behaviour on the internet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Do you think posting a video of yourself (a grown adult and parent) beating your child is exercising "appropriate behaviour on the internet"??

Absolutely disgusting and a total double standard. Not only do I find any form of physical punishment on a child deplorable in any situation, but to also publicly humiliate and traumatise the child even further by posting it online is unforgivable.

I understand the child was posting inappropriate pictures but the mother handled it awfully. There are gentler methods of getting the point across without beating your child and posting it online.

Whipping a child with a belt in any circumstances is completely wrong, regardless of what the punishment was for. I was almost in tears watching the video, the daughter was cowering, crawling across the floor while the mother laid into her with the belt. She was crying out in pain and the mom continued hitting. No excuse in the world can justify that abuse. Made me sick to my stomach.

The child was only 12, her internet usage should have been closely monitored in the first place to avoid such a situation.

Just really sad all round, in my opinion. That mother should be ashamed of herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 toughapple

I don't think the mother meant to hurt her, just teach her a lesson. It is part of their culture.

Are you serious? She was whipping her with a belt! How could she possibly not have intended to hurt her?!

Culture is no excuse for physically hurting and humiliating a child. No excuses for showing that much aggression at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

toughapple wrote: »
    I don't think the mother meant to hurt her, just teach her a lesson. It is part of their culture.

I'm not a racist BUT!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Proverbs, the biblical book of practical ethics teaches that 'he that spareth the rod hateth his son'.

Perhaps, Rabindranath Tagore has the appropriate last word: 'He only may chastise, ' he wrote 'who loves'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

degsie wrote: »
    I'm not a racist BUT!

He's a racist for correctly saying corporal punishment is part of their culture? Even though it was still legal at home, schools and the penal system as of 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

He's a racist for correctly saying corporal punishment is part of their culture? Even though it was still legal at home, schools and the penal system as of 2012.

It is not so long in this country when a 12 year old misbehaved like that she would have her pants taken down for a beating. It wouldn't be with a soft strap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jackal756

Well obviously there are cultural differences in discipline and we could go on about the rights and wrongs of corporal punishment but I think every mother would want to protect her child from the dangers of paedophiles and weirdos of which Facebook has it's fair share by punishing them to ensure there isn't a reoccurance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't think the mother meant to hurt her, just teach her a lesson.

Bizarre statement, considering the entire objective is to cause pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Should just have beaten her privately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Jessica-Rabbit

I do not believe it is ever ok to use physical force to punish a child. I watched that video and I was almost in tears. I have a wonderful little girl and I would never in a million years hurt her like that regardless of what she may or may not have done.
    It was appalling enough for the mother to hit her child using a belt and with such force but to then film this, it is beyond vile. To humiliate your child in front of millions of people across the world is totally unacceptable and there should be huge repercussions for what that mother did.
    I can understand why she would have been upset with her child, given her child's age and actions, and I understand that in Trinidad the rape crime rate is much higher than here, but having said that there is so many dangers with the internet in itself as it is full of predators searching for vulnerable children, and so I can understand why the mother would want to protect her child but really and truly she should have known this was not they to go about it.
    She could have banned Facebook, confiscated laptops phone's and grounded her and then have a very long discussion about her child's actions and the dangers she may have faced as well as teaching her about basic self respect.
    There seems to be a very disturbing trend now of parents using the web to humiliate their children as a form of punishment. It really baffles me as to how any parent could think this is ok, it is a form of bullying and control and in no way a healthy method of discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Are you serious? She was whipping her with a belt! How could she possibly not have intended to hurt her?!

Culture is no excuse for physically hurting and humiliating a child. No excuses for showing that much aggression at all.

Before unmarried mothers allowances were introduced in Ireland mothers kept a very close watch on their daughters and would hurt and humiliate them if they engaged in any kind of behaviour which may have led to an unwanted pregnancy.
    I am sure that 12 year old would prefer to stay at home with her mother than go to a Magdalen home,washing priests and nuns underwear.

She belted her, not whipped her. Most of the blows landed on her clothing. The object was to show the person who was grooming her that the mother would not tolerate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Jessica-Rabbit

Ireland has thankfully come a long way from being under the evil control of the catholic church and the Magdalene laundries, society has learned from those mistakes.
    Not all children or teenagers are unruly in this day and age, and is not thanks to being beaten and humiliated, it is down to support encouragement accurate communication and appropriate discipline without the use of physical punishment.
    Children and teenagers who are unruly are often the products of either lazy parents, or parents who believe their child can do no wrong.

She belted her, not whipped her. Most of the blows landed on her clothing. The object was to show the person who was grooming her that the mother would not tolerate it.

You can't seriously be downplaying that viscous beating that mother gave?! Unless her clothes are made of cast iron then obviously she was still going to feel it. She's still a child and was obviously scared senseless, she cowered away from every "belt". Nobody deserves that kind of punishment. Far better gentler methods out there to control your child.

That's a great idea. Find out someone is grooming your child (abuse) and to show the groomer you won't stand for it, beat the crap out of your child for millions of people to see online, which is also abuse. Great logic there :rolleyes: Why didn't she give the person who was grooming her a beating, would that not have made more sense? :rolleyes:

You can't seriously be downplaying that viscous beating that mother gave?! Unless her clothes are made of cast iron then obviously she was still going to feel it. She's still a child and was obviously scared senseless, she cowered away from every "belt". Nobody deserves that kind of punishment. Far better gentler methods out there to control your child.

That's a great idea. Find out someone is grooming your child (abuse) and to show the groomer you won't stand for it, beat the crap out of your child for millions of people to see online, which is also abuse. Great logic there :rolleyes: Why didn't she give the person who was grooming her a beating, would that not have made more sense? :rolleyes:

Blows on clothes dont hurt as much as on the bare skin! The mother obviously didn't want to humiliate her daughter by removing her underwear for a beating on the internet. The daughter was cowering out of shame. I wouldn't like to be that groomer if the mother finds him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭rock22

Blows on clothes dont hurt as much as on the bare skin! .....!

Irrespective of the argument for and against corporal punishment, this beating was vicious and excessive.
    The mother obviously didn't want to humiliate her daughter by removing her underwear for a beating on the internet. .....!
    If the mother didn't want to humiliate her daughter then why post this on the internet. Most parents would deal with this in private with the child, - irrespective of their views on spanking.

Advertisement