Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTIA A+, worth it?

Options
  • 26-04-2014 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

[I'm not sure if this is the right thread so if not, the Mods can move it]

I'm currently in Fifth Year and looking for some part-time work is exhausting, places are either not hiring or my CV isn't good enough (which it isn't). I was wondering if there was any point in doing the CompTIA A+ over the summer to get something on my CV? I worked in a Computer Repair shop last summer building and fixing machines for people along with setting up small servers for local business which was fine but putting it down on a CV is close to useless.

Any idea whether it would be worth it? It's about €193 to sit the test and I assume more to get the material to study it. Or is it completely useless in this day and age and is there something out there that would be better for me to do?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

If that is what you are interested in doing then i would suggest go for it.. You already have a little work experience in that area so it would benefit you for sure.. Would that computer repair shop be willing to give you more work experience?

What area of IT will you be hoping to get into in the future or in other words what are you interested in doing? The A+ realy is just a basic entry level cert, i have never seen a job spec mention it, but i have seen the Network+ been mentioned a few times as a basic requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I had started studying this before coming back to ireland, as was unsure of getting a job in my area. I covered about a third of the Mike Meyers book (thought it was pretty good), seems to be just a general grounding in everything, might be a good start to try an get in to a helpdesk role perhaps.

I didnt finish it or do the exam as i got a job straight after getting back, and any study time would be in CPD for that area.

i think network+ is supposed to be a big step up, may not be suitable to go into with out prior learning/experience.

The network+ is fine, it was my first Cert without any experience at all... If you want to deal with the hardware side of things and general pc maintenance then the A+ is fine... If you have no intention of doing or wanting to do that and would like to go more towards the network side of things then the Network+ is fine as a first cert...

Think about what you would like to do in the future and spend the money on a cert that will be a stepping stone to that... no point in wasting the money on a cert just to say you have the cert if ya know what i mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

STEINBERG wrote: »
    If that is what you are interested in doing then i would suggest go for it.. You already have a little work experience in that area so it would benefit you for sure.. Would that computer repair shop be willing to give you more work experience?

What area of IT will you be hoping to get into in the future or in other words what are you interested in doing? The A+ really is just a basic entry level cert, i have never seen a job spec mention it, but i have seen the Network+ been mentioned a few times as a basic requirement.

Well after the Leaving Cert I plan on studying Computer Science, I enjoy programming although I only know the basics of Java and I'm fairly okay with HMTL5/CSS3/Javascript but in 2014 so are most people. I got on well with the owner of the shop so I probably should be able to go back and get more work experience.

Troxck wrote: »
    Well after the Leaving Cert I plan on studying Computer Science, I enjoy programming although I only know the basics of Java and I'm fairly okay with HMTL5/CSS3/Javascript but in 2014 so are most people. I got on well with the owner of the shop so I probably should be able to go back and get more work experience.

Well i would suggest getting in contact with him and see if he will give you the work experience again,,, you could get the A+ cert but i would hesitate to say that right now its kind of a waste of money considering you will be doing Computer Science Degree...

You said it yourself about the programming, if you realy enjoy it go down that route,, im not sure what kind of basic certs you can get for it, if any at all.. There are online places such as EDX.org , coursera.org, udemy just to name a few,, you could always try codecademy,, all of the above are free as far as i know.

but just to say it again, if you enjoy the programming stick with it and keep learning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You could get involved in a local CoderDojo as a mentor. Generally they're kids in it but I'm sure you could learn from it. It would definitely give you an inside as to whether or not programming is your thing.

You could also volunteer at your school over the summer upgrading computers from XP to Windows 7/8 if they haven't already done so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Mr. G wrote: »
    You could get involved in a local CoderDojo as a mentor. Generally they're kids in it but I'm sure you could learn from it. It would definitely give you an inside as to whether or not programming is your thing.

You could also volunteer at your school over the summer upgrading computers from XP to Windows 7/8 if they haven't already done so.

There used to be a CoderDojo in my town but it pretty much disappeared due to lack of available mentors, but while it was running it was really useful and that's when I started getting into coding so it's a shame really.

My school has already upgraded to Windows 7, along with Apple TVs and iPads for every teacher so they are all up to date...

Advertisement