Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Rings

• 26-04-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wanted to know whats the story with the bullock and weanling rings in marts. What age would an animal usually be sold in the bullock ring rather than the weanling ring? I know this is a simple question but would appricaite an answer.
    Thank you :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I think it depends on the mart and what facilities (number of rings) they have. I have seen 9month to yearling bulls been sold in the calf ring in Carrigallen :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

have seen the same as base price and have seen 18/20 month old bulls being sold in weanling ring and 6 month old bulls sold in bullock ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

i think your asking, in the bullock ring, what would the age be?. .

well on average id say 18-20 months,

youngest, 8-10 months,

oldest 3 yrs,

avg weight 435kgs

all depends on the given day if u ask me, you can be lucky and get a load of young animals, or unlucky and left with older heavier animals, , , but again depends on what you looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Maybe use 400 kgs as a guide,, above bullock, below weanling ,,or maybe 350 kg as cut off

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MagicManCan

Thanks lads, all ye're responses were very helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Base price wrote: »
    I think it depends on the mart and what facilities (number of rings) they have. I have seen 9month to yearling bulls been sold in the calf ring in Carrigallen :eek:

Saw 3 Jersey bullocks (or were they squeezed at all?) land into the ring there, a few weeks ago. Had to be a year old, horns 9inches long. Tell you one thing, all the "lads" hanging into the ring, weren't long drawing back!
    Pity they didn't cut the hands off a few of them, put the waving off them:D

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Saw 3 Jersey bullocks (or were they squeezed at all?) land into the ring there, a few weeks ago. Had to be a year old, horns 9inches long. Tell you one thing, all the "lads" hanging into the ring, weren't long drawing back!
    Pity they didn't cut the hands off a few of them, put the waving off them:D

what did they end up at Nekarsulm?

I think, about 300ish?

I think, about 300ish?

what kg?

simx wrote: »
    what kg?

No weight, calves not weighted!

• Advertisement

No weight, calves not weighted!

they were runners were they?

I would estimate they were probably 300kg or thereabouts. Were about the year to 14 months age mark.

Advertisement