Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Grangebrook, Whitechurch/Rathfarnham

Options
  • 26-04-2014 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks,

Excuse the anonymous account - was just hoping for some guidance from a few native south Dubliners!

The missus and I are househunting at the moment and there've been a few places in the Grangebrook area of Rathfarnham that we've been fairly interested in - but we're a little bit nervy because we've heard some mixed things about Whitechurch which is just a little bit down the road.

We've seen a few of the threads about the area here but they're all a few years old (and most of them were reporting issues 'a few years ago', so they'd be dated opinions at this stage) - so rather than reviving those threads I was hoping to check with people who live in the area and see if they'd have any reservations about it?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

I live in Ballyboden about a mile away and I think it's a lovely estate, nice houses and plenty of green spaces. Marlay and St Enda's park only around the corner. I think your nicely seperated from the Whitechurch area (despite being very close) and I don't think Whitechurch is as bad as it used to be. I run by Grangebrook most mornings and I'd live there no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I grew up in Rathfarnham (right at the bottom of Grange Road), I know Whitechurch reasonably well. It's not a great area, but like everywhere, some parts are worse than others. I use to see a girl who lived there and she always said it wasn't great, I certainly didn't feel comfortable leaving my car outside her house for too long (saw 3 break-ins on her street during the 6 months or so I was going there). There's a newsagent in the middle of the estate which seems to be where all the kids gather to cause trouble, trying to gain entry at 6pm on a Saturday evening was almost impossible thanks to jeering and requests for me to buy smokes and booze.

Conversely, my brother's friend lives in a really nice little road which I only recently found was also part of whitechurch. It's kind of near the edge, so it might be a case of it getting rougher the deeper you go in. I hope I'm not putting you off, I just wanted to share some of my experiences! I don't know much about Grangebrook, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Grangebrook is fine. I hope you get your house there. Grangebrook is a cul de sac leading nowhere and you don't get people passing by on their way home. Some truly fantatic people live there.
    Parking seems a little tight, a nicely first world complaint I am sure you will agree?

The newsagent in Whitechurch has had a facelift and is now a centra with the famous superquinn sausages and new computerised tills that disconcertingly don't show you how much items cost as they are scanned.

Grangebrook is literally on the doorstep of the best outside playground in Dublin, 3 rock Ticknock, with Marlay Park, Hellfire and other parks all jostling for attention nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

one of my best friends lives in grangebrook and has never had a problem with it being right next door to Whitechurch. Whitechurch is quite rough but they tend to keep to themselves!!! I'd be in grangebrook about once a week and it's lovely - she's right opposite the green and it seems like a lovely estate to raise a family in. Also a great location for m50, parks, shopping etc. If you have children just be careful about schools - the local school is a protestant school and catholics may not get in and the good catholic school doesn't have grangebrook in it's catchment area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

highly1111 wrote: »
    one of my best friends lives in grangebrook and has never had a problem with it being right next door to Whitechurch. Whitechurch is quite rough but they tend to keep to themselves!!! I'd be in grangebrook about once a week and it's lovely - she's right opposite the green and it seems like a lovely estate to raise a family in. Also a great location for m50, parks, shopping etc. If you have children just be careful about schools - the local school is a protestant school and catholics may not get in and the good catholic school doesn't have grangebrook in it's catchment area.

I could be wrong regarding this particular school, but to the best of my knowledge Protestant schools aren't nearly as cagey about allowing other faiths as Catholic ones (we had 2 Catholics and a Jewish guy in my class the whole way up).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

No, I don't think that they are - my friend is a catholic and her daughter got in ok but apparently they were very lucky to do so - but I've no first hand experience myself and I'm not 100% of their enrolment policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TomFun

soopersnoop, just wondering if you made the move to grangebrook and if so what are your experiences of the estate (and Whitechurch) and, if relevant, schools in the area?

We are looking at a house here but have absolutely no info on the area.

I would also greatly appreciate it If anyone can add to what has been previously posted.

Thanks in anticipation

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

I grew up in Rathfarnham (right at the bottom of Grange Road), I know Whitechurch reasonably well. It's not a great area, but like everywhere, some parts are worse than others. I use to see a girl who lived there and she always said it wasn't great, I certainly didn't feel comfortable leaving my car outside her house for too long (saw 3 break-ins on her street during the 6 months or so I was going there). There's a newsagent in the middle of the estate which seems to be where all the kids gather to cause trouble, trying to gain entry at 6pm on a Saturday evening was almost impossible thanks to jeering and requests for me to buy smokes and booze.

Conversely, my brother's friend lives in a really nice little road which I only recently found was also part of whitechurch. It's kind of near the edge, so it might be a case of it getting rougher the deeper you go in. I hope I'm not putting you off, I just wanted to share some of my experiences! I don't know much about Grangebrook, alas.

Just flicking through this thread noticed this comment. Firstly I'm from whitechurch and have lived there 30 odd years. I have never had any trouble and rarely here of any. The bit tgat stuck out in your comment was that kids hanging around the shops asking you to get smokes and drink. I'm sure this happens near most off licence as kids chance there arm. I'm certain it doesn't happen in whitechurch (drink) as there is no off licence in the area the nearest one is on taylors lane cost cutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ssshhh123 wrote: »
    Just flicking through this thread noticed this comment. Firstly I'm from whitechurch and have lived there 30 odd years. I have never had any trouble and rarely here of any. The bit tgat stuck out in your comment was that kids hanging around the shops asking you to get smokes and drink. I'm sure this happens near most off licence as kids chance there arm. I'm certain it doesn't happen in whitechurch (drink) as there is no off licence in the area the nearest one is on taylors lane cost cutters.

really, no trouble? because I grew up in Marley and the Whitechruch kids were always over trying to cause fights and trouble. I would describe the kids as little scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

ted1 wrote: »
    really, no trouble? because I grew up in Marley and the Whitechruch kids were always over trying to cause fights and trouble. I would describe the kids as little scumbags.

Well how do you know they are from whitechurch? And if they are always in marley causing trouble and fighting it sounds like marley wouldnt be a nice place to live if all the so called scumbags hang around there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think people have to remember that what might seem normal to people living in one area, may seem completely abnormal to people who live elsewhere.

Different people have different expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Orla875

Grangebrook is a very nice estate. The protestant Whitechurch National School is a very good school, but a small school and indeed they will give priority to protestants, however there are also children following other religions.

There are many nice families who live in the Whitechurch estate nowadays, however there are still few who sporadically disturb the neighborhood with anti-social behaviors. You will understand what I mean if you go there during Halloween...

Advertisement