Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Approval Criteria

Options
  • 26-04-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My salary would be slightly lower than the banks may be looking for to approve mortgages, but I am in a position where I could put up significantly more than the normally required deposit up front. Would this help in getting a mortgage or would a low salary be a hindrance irrespective of lump sums of cash available?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

It won't change the bank's underwriting requirements, if the salary you have is deemed insufficient by them for the mortgage you want then it won't really matter how much deposit you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

The high deposit should decrease the amount of mortgage needed. However, it's repayment capacity, not security, that the bank are more interested in. The banks aren't thinking along the lines of "it doesn't matter if they're earning less that what we'd like because they've got 50% equity and we can repossess if they cannot pay".
    1. You need to determine how much of a mortgage you need
    2. Then you need to work out the repayments on that mortgage at interest rates of 6% (I'd use a 30-year term)
    3. Then you need to deduct this mortgage repayment amount, together with a deduction of €250 per child, if any, from your monthly take-home pay

After performing the above, if you are left with less than €1,250 for a single person, or €2,000 for a couple, you don't stand much of a chance.

If you are borderline, it may be worth trying to get an approval in principal. However, if the remaining income is €200+ below the above figures, you'd be wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hi,

My salary would be slightly lower than the banks may be looking for to approve mortgages, but I am in a position where I could put up significantly more than the normally required deposit up front. Would this help in getting a mortgage or would a low salary be a hindrance irrespective of lump sums of cash available?

Thanks

I'm on a low salary, but had a good bit of savings at the time and although I didn't get the amount I was looking for they approved the mortgage when I told them I could cover the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Hi,

Thanks

depends on where the lump sum came from.
    if it is from long-term savings, it shows your ability to manage finances properly and will stand very much in your favour.
    if it's a gift/inheritance, it's significance in the application process would be significantly diminished.

Advertisement