Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think parking in the city has ruined shopping there

Options
  • 26-04-2014 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Went into city center earlier..I know it was a busy sat morning but it next to near impossible to find parking..eventually had to cave in and park in the q parking..i dont mind paying but i hate it there as its so fooking tight there

Do you think peolple are being pushed to mahon as its so much easier..free parking..good shops..no messing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Much easier to head to Mahon, Wilton or Douglas - free parking - loads of it.
    Ballincollig will soon become a mecca for shopping with Tesco opening with plenty of parking
    My car has been damaged in one of those tight parking places in city centre - door rammed against it while opening/closing.
    I really like the city centre but parking is so annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I wouldn't know, I don't go there any more. I've a key in my wallet that can only be cut in Cunneens for about 2 months now because I couldn't be arsed going in there. I'll pass on all the footpaths and cycle lanes thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

PcAngel wrote: »
    My car has been damaged in one of those tight parking places in city centre - door rammed against it while opening/closing.

Two things i look out for when parking are the cars next to mine in a damaged state if the owner driving it don't care about their car they won't car about yours and if there is a baby seat in a car avoid at all costs as its all about getting the child in the seat and who cars if they fling the door open and damage the car next to them.

The nicest high-rise I have been in is the Blackpool one what the one like in douglas village.
    I avoid the city at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Well the fact that you found it hard to find parking in the city on that occasion says perhaps all is not lost for city shopping.

However, I'm with most of the posters here also when I say I'm not bothered with going into the city anymore. Parking is a dose in town and those multi-storey car parks are some joke, especially Grand Parade car park. I've noticed lately the car park behind the the old Grand Parade hotel has expanded and may be an alternative to the multi-story car parks.

The only good thing about going into town is the Park & Ride (Black Ash) but unless you're coming from that side of the city and you're not buying anything bulky or heavy in town it can be hard to leave the car behind.

Mahon Point has free parking but if you get it at a bad time the entering/leaving can be soul destroying. They all have their ups and downs I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

They want you to bus it in. But the bus company don't like to tell you the times the buses will arrive at your stop. Keep 'em guessing! They also don't like to give any change, advertise how much it costs and will sail on past you with full buses at busy times when you actually want to use one. Completely unreliable service. It's a pain in the arse and is destroying the city trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Have not been in there in 1 year , parking put me off , the shopping malls are a lot easier to deal with . Parking is too expensive you are too far from the shops , there is no public bus service where I live

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

PcAngel wrote: »
    Much
    Ballincollig will soon become a mecca for shopping with Tesco opening with plenty of parking

Cork County Council are trying their best to force people into town by having 17 sets of traffic lights from one end of Ballincollig to the other. It is absolutely ridiculous. Won't go near the place unless I have to.

Says it all that the traffic lights will show red at 8 in the morning to leave pedestrians cross when no one has pushed the btton. Crazy setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Most defiantly they should have more free parking or better rates.. Were planning on walking into town or getting the bus but the crappy weather we ended up driving, now we were just going for a stroll around nothing major but twas still 10 for parking for 2-3 hours not bad but id imagine if you were there for the whole day you would get annoyed..

Was there something with one of the car parks giving free parking on Saturdays or is that just Christmas time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Cork City Council doesn't do free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

pwurple wrote: »
    They want you to bus it in. But the bus company don't like to tell you the times the buses will arrive at your stop. Keep 'em guessing! They also don't like to give any change, advertise how much it costs and will sail on past you with full buses at busy times when you actually want to use one. Completely unreliable service. It's a pain in the arse and is destroying the city trade.

The real time app is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

there are a couple of things ruining the shopping in town

1st of all the cost of parking as well as the lack of it
    2. the blackash park and ride is good. a few more of them would be . a better regular bus service to and from town on routes
    3. as mentioned on other threads, the gangs in town esp on a Saturday afternoon around Dunnes on Patricks St. Had the misfortune once of witnessing a v hostile atmosphere with them once. wouldn't encourage people into town

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Agree the bus service is shocking.
    Parking at Mahon Point is NOT an easy option!!!
    I like town but I tend to drive in around 4ish and usually there are more free spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

The real time app is good.
    Nonoperational

post of the day i say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Town has been pay parking for a long time but the opening of mahon point,blackpool etc means folk don't have to go to town now,alot go on a sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Will mahon point get to expand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Lambofdave wrote: »

I'd hope not it's already a traffic planning disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

It's so expensive to park in town. I think it takes me almost 10-15 minutes to find a parking space, on busy days. Then it's a race around town. It's a pity there isn't a loyalty scheme - not based on what you spend, but some discount for people who spend a little in a lot of shops.
    I feel sorry for City traders - Mahon Point is so overrated and hell to get parking in and/or escape from at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Cost me €10 to park last time I was in the city, so I avoid it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I actually love the city center, despite my bus rant... I'm in there at least once a week, sometimes twice or more. The english market is fantastic, and I haunt vibes and scribes a bit.

Parking is a pain though. I'm always looking to find alternative ways in.

I'm lucky enough to be related to some traders, so i often take in a trader van, drop sTuff off, or pickup, and use a loading bay.

I cycle in.
    I use a motorbike.
    We live out ballintemple direction, so it's walkable as well.

It's just a pain if I want to bring in more than one child, or get anything bulky, like a sack of spuds, or a turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Before I moved to the suburbs, if I wanted to head into town I'd always park in the Blackash Park and Ride. It's a fiver for parking and the bus. The bus generally comes every 10 minutes and if you have a load of shopping, you can make multiple trips. When shopping I've been "sent back" to the car with some shopping while somebody else continued the shopping in town. I returned back to collect the next load.......

• Advertisement

Lambofdave wrote: »
    There are always empty units in MP now tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

3. as mentioned on other threads, the gangs in town esp on a Saturday afternoon around Dunnes on Patricks St. Had the misfortune once of witnessing a v hostile atmosphere with them once. wouldn't encourage people into town

Town is bigger than the area around Dunnes on Patrick's Street.

kub wrote: »
    Town is bigger than the area around Dunnes on Patrick's Street.

You are right, but town on a Saturday eve (after 4), isn't a pleasant place to be.

I must be immune to that because I'm always in town on the weekends after 4. The only anti social stuff I've seen is winos sitting about chatting drinking or begging and groups of teenagers being loud and silly but not threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

It's so expensive to park in town. I think it takes me almost 10-15 minutes to find a parking space, on busy days. Then it's a race around town. It's a pity there isn't a loyalty scheme - not based on what you spend, but some discount for people who spend a little in a lot of shops.
    I feel sorry for City traders - Mahon Point is so overrated and hell to get parking in and/or escape from at the weekend.

that's true. if you get something to eat in soho and are parked in the Q car park they will validate your ticket when paying a bill. if something similar was rolled out in a few places in town even a discount off your parking wouldn't d any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

You are right, but town on a Saturday eve (after 4), isn't a pleasant place to be.

If you are scared by people in track suits i suppose it wouldn't be.I know things can get a little hairy at times in town at the weekends but sometimes i wonder do the doom and gloom merchants over exaggerate the problem!We had that nasty assault recently but i still think in general though certain people like to make these things sound worse than they actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

I don't see parking as a big issue in Cork. I have the park by phone sticker and there are plenty of two-hour zones close to the city centre; Lapp's Quay, Lower Oliver Plunkett Street, Union Quay, Dyke Parade. You'll always get a space in one of those areas.
    The multistoreys owned by the Council like Pauls Street and North Main Street are very cheap and very central. So between them all I think parking is fine.
    The multistorey on the Grand Parade is privately owned and is the most expensive car park in Ireland so I never go there.

If you are scared by people in track suits i suppose it wouldn't be.I know things can get a little hairy at times in town at the weekends but sometimes i wonder do the doom and gloom merchants over exaggerate the problem!We had that nasty assault recently but i still think in general though certain people like to make these things sound worse than they actually are.

If you do get a chance, listen to the Matt Cooper show from 4.40pm today......I am hardly the only doom merchant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

If you do get a chance, listen to the Matt Cooper show from 4.40pm today......I am hardly the only doom merchant!

Why? Is he going to get mugged live on air?

• Advertisement

evilivor wrote: »
    Why? Is he going to get mugged live on air?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Just talking about his experience of living near South Mall

Advertisement