Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Strengthening Exercises For Runners Knee?

Options
  • 26-04-2014 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I've been suffering from slight knee pain in the last month or two. It would mostly occur when walking down stairs and sometimes during running. I actually noticed the initial pain come on when doing squats so immediately stopped.

Last week I walked down 2 very steep hills and felt the pain a lot worse than usual. I checked up online and seems like it's PFPS aka runners knee. I used to run daily about 7 years ago and never had any knee problems so not sure why it has come on? I've been looking at some strengthening exercises online and there seems to be various ones. I'm doing quad clenches and straight leg raises to start off with.

Can anyone recommend any other exercises/tips who have experienced such problems?

Baring in mind I'm a recreational runner and would typically do about 4km 3-4 times a week. I do about 20 mins of skipping about 3-4 times a week also.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

To be honest it could be a range of things that is causing your issues, I'd start with a trip to the physio to get a proper diagnosis.

I'd had similar issues and had goggled and come up with various exercises and stretches but never got over my issues last year.

This year I went to my physio and I'm doing much better despite running much more mileage this year.

In the long run I think it is best to get some professional advice rather than self diagnosis as there is "no one size fits all treatment for knee pain".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

+1 on the previous statement.

PFPS is not a diagnosis but rather a handy medical term used to describe the location of the pain. This term however does not always give indication to root cause.

Similarly strengthening exercises are all well and good but if the issue is muscle tightness then they will be ineffective for resolving the pain. Think of it like tying a knot in a rope and then trying to pull each end to unravel the knot, strengthening exercises are only going to make a tightened muscle tighter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I went to Physio.
    Physio said an MRI would help. Gave me note to give to Doctor.
    Doctor referred me for MRI.
    Did MRI.
    Went back to Doctor who got results and explained them.
    Went to Physio who looked at results and gave me exercises to do.

Knee has been OK since then.

The feeling I got is that a lot of things can affect the knees and feet. Physio can try to figure it out but MRI can show the Physio what is going on underneath. Then the physio can give better informed recommendations.

It would probably be a good idea for you to go to a physio and / or doctor.

Advertisement