Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Insurance when overseas for a long period?

Options
  • 26-04-2014 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We recently drove to the snowy hills of Iceland and it looks like we will stay here for some time. My first problem is my vehicle! And this is the main reason for this post...

I brought my trusty VW T4 van, with Irish insurance through AA. My original plan was to be covered on that for the first 60 days and then find a solution here or get a special "international" policy. Turns out AA don't cover me here at all so the van is now parked! Does anyone know of any Insurance crowds which will cover an Irish vehicle overseas for 60 days or more? And specifically Iceland, cos it's in the EEA but not the EU. My only other option is to register the vehicle here (after I register myself here, which I was hoping would not be necessary as a "tourist"), put it through the Icelandic Test System (similar to NCT), possibly pay VRT, THEN get Icelandic Insurance!! The Customs office here will let me have the vehicle here for up to 1 year as a visitor without issue but the issue is Insurance. Icelandic Insurers are refusing to cover a foreign vehicle, and that's no surprise really...

Any ideas/advice would be very helpful! Any ideas on certain companies who offer special policies that cover going abroad for long periods? If my van was a registered Camper it might be easier, but it's not...

Thanks in advance!

Vinny

Advertisement