Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a track record in borrowing money to set up a business?

Options
  • 26-04-2014 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of setting up a business in a year's time or sooner.

The main question is, do I need to have a track record in borrowing money (e.g car loan, mortgage, evidence of financial investment and return on investment, etc) in order to get my new business officially approved by the government?

I have no experience in borrowing money (all I had was a credit card), and I wonder whether that would work against me when it comes to setting up a company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

What approval do you need from the Government? I would strongly suggest you do a start your own business course before making any decisions about self employment. Your Local Enterprise Service who are in each county will help you find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I mean, when I fill in my ( CRO form ), I could get rejected, right? Not every application is successful and sometimes people are asked to re-submit it, etc AFAIK.

But yes, good point on Start Your Business course. Is there a limited availability for those, though, and is there a competition for them in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The only people who are interested in your record of borrowing money would be a bank or potential creditor. Either that or collateral.

The government aren't interested in your credit history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

As above - I suggest you do a short business course or talk to a local enterprise board and get a little knowledge about business. Without looking like insulting you, you seem to have very little if any knowledge of setting up a business and this could prove disastrous to you if things go wrong.

Understand all your obligations as a director of a company and probably best to talk to an accountant. You'll find the small fee or the free courses will save you an awful lot of avoidable hassle.

Advertisement