Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Applications Vs.Computer Science

• 26-04-2014 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Basically, what is the difference between CA and CS?

Would there be any advantage of taking a CS degree over a CA degree or vice versa? I'm well aware of what both courses offer but now I'm not really sure which one to pick.

If any current/past student of CA in DCU could give me input on the course it would be much appreciated. For example, what languages are focussed on in first year?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

If you search this forum for Computer Applications or CA you will find more than enough about what you want to know.

In my eyes there is no difference between CA and CS other than the name, and I have always regarded Computer Applications as DCU's Computer Science course. People have said before that DCU's course is more practically focused but I am not sure how much truth there is to that (other than the INTRA work placement in 3rd year). Computer Applications seems to be a highly regarded computing course in Ireland.

Your choice of course should probably take into account which university you would prefer as well as your preference of course content.

Computer Applications, like a lot of the other Computer Science degrees in Ireland at the moment, mainly focuses on Java but it also touches on languages like C, C++, Haskell and the web design languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ChoiChoi

I've just finished my second semester of first year. The programming lecturers are very good, although one them isn't someone you'd want to have a beer with he's still a good teacher. And one of our maths teachers was very good too.

The rest of the lecturers have been extremely poor. I'm going into one exam in particular now without much of a clue what to do because of how poor that lecturer was. People will say its not up to the lecturer to teach you but that's bull****, if they're examining you and they're writing the papers, they should be teaching you what goes onto those exam papers.

Of course every college has this problem, I just hadn't expected it to be quite so bad at DCU. A lot of my classmates agree with me so its not just me. I'm pretty disappointed so far I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

Having spent six years to complete the four year degree in DCU I'm going to have to call you on that. The lecturers may not all be as interesting as the Programming Lecturer or the math lecturer but they all cover the syllabus that they examine you on (aside from one but you wont have him till 4th year). I coasted my way through the majority of the degree, barely scraping a pass and actually failing two in the process.

BUT.. when I applied myself to the coursework and actually understood the topics the exams were a lot easier resulting in good grades. In computer applications you cannot expect to get away with learning the Exam, you will for a while but eventually it will catch up on you.. If you know and understand all topics covered in the notes you will be grand however if you chose to only study the past papers, good luck to you..

Either way a guarantee you that if it was on the paper it was covered at some point, though like most things in life you need to apply the knowledge to solve a problem. To earn your degree don't expect to be asked a question where you just regurgitate what's in the notes every time, those questions are there to tell the difference between a pass and a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ChoiChoi

Well I'll reserve judgement on this years paper until I take it, I was referring to the past papers I have been doing (which we've been told to do), and there's stuff on them (recent ones) that just isn't anywhere to be found in our notes.

Also your point about applying what you know to solve a problem, that would be fantastic if it was actually possible, but two of my four exams are literally rote learning, which I hate personally, but shoddy notes make it a nightmare.

Advertisement