Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science Vs. Computer Applications

Options
  • 26-04-2014 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Basically, what is the difference between CA and CS?

Would there be any advantage of taking a CS degree over a CA degree or vice versa? I'm well aware of what both courses offer but now I'm not really sure which one to pick.

If any current/past student of CS in UCD could give me input on the course it would be much appreciated. For example, what languages are focussed on in first year?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

Copy Paste from a previous comment I made

I'm currently in my 4th year in CS in UCD, so the experience of it all is quite fresh, ironclaw has raised some valid points about doing an EE course over a CS course, but he is naturally biased. I will chip in my two cents, in the 4 years we have covered about 40/40/20 split between Theory,Programming and Maths. I looked at all the modules I've done and this is what I've come up with. The Theory refers to modules like Algorithmic Problem Solving, Formal Foundations, Databases among many others now a lot of these Theoretical modules have programming aspects but these only supplement the overall learning process. The programming languages we have learned include C,C++,Java,Ruby,Scheme and Assembly. So to say there's little emphasis on coding is just wrong. The maths we cover is difficult in the beginning, but you shouldn't let this deter you since maths lies at the core of computer science, and after a while knowing the things they taught you in first and second years grounds your understanding of topics in later years. Take computer graphics for example, you are taught about matrices in first year, an entire module, and yeah by the end of it you understand what a matrix is and that it has some use in games. But then when it comes to coding up a scene/animation in C++ your knowledge of how matrices/vectors work and interact acts as a foundation for your assignments.

Another thing worth mentioning is that in UCD there is an elective system, so while 10 of your 12 modules are in CS, you can pick two other electives each year from anywhere in UCD, sometimes it can be more of a hindrance than a help if it so happens you don't get the ones you wanted, but the choice is there. So over the fours years you will do 8-9 Maths Modules, 30-31 CS Modules and a Final Year Project worth 3 modules. Along with 6 Electives.

To reiterate what mhangasor was saying, yeah there are some terrible lecturers, but theres good and bad in everything, and in my opinion the good outshine the bad. You look forward to lectures when the person speaking is enthusiastic and helpful.

Since I've only studied in UCD I can't comment as to whether other colleges are better, all I can say is that CS in UCD is getting better each year. Our year, 2010-2014 was the first year to do the current CS course, DN201. And at the end of every year we give feedback on our modules, on how they were for content and what the lectures were like. Now there are things they can't change, lecturers personalities are one, but the things they can change they do their very best to do so. So our year has had it the worst in terms of being the "guinea pigs" for DN201 but we've helped pave the way for a better course.

As far as job prospects go, right now we are in the prime job hunting phase of our college year, both looking for and being sought after by ways of careers fairs and guest speakers. All I can say is there is plenty of work out there, and as long as you are willing to lower your standards just a little (Googlers) you will find a job no problem. It might sound cocky but the reality of it is not where will you get a job, but what kind of work your interested in pursuing and to a degree who you would like to work for. At any one time there are thousands of job offers in Ireland, and with companies like HubSpot and Intercom.io opening new offices in Dublin the prospects are ever improving.

I personally chose to pursue computer science not because I loved computers (which I did) but because I wanted to do something challenging and dynamic, similarly to the world of Electronic Engineering, I didn't want to be doing the same thing year after year, CS is a huge area of study, and is ever expanding, so what you learn this year isn't always the same as what lies around the corner. The fundamentals never change but they are the foundations which are used to broaden the horizons, what makes CS dynamic is the seen at the forefront, things like Machine Learning and Virtual Reality are some of the most interesting topics being studied right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Dave26992 wrote: »
    Copy Paste from a previous comment I made

I'm currently in my 4th year in CS in UCD, so the experience of it all is quite fresh, ironclaw has raised some valid points about doing an EE course over a CS course, but he is naturally biased. I will chip in my two cents, in the 4 years we have covered about 40/40/20 split between Theory,Programming and Maths. I looked at all the modules I've done and this is what I've come up with. The Theory refers to modules like Algorithmic Problem Solving, Formal Foundations, Databases among many others now a lot of these Theoretical modules have programming aspects but these only supplement the overall learning process. The programming languages we have learned include C,C++,Java,Ruby,Scheme and Assembly. So to say there's little emphasis on coding is just wrong. The maths we cover is difficult in the beginning, but you shouldn't let this deter you since maths lies at the core of computer science, and after a while knowing the things they taught you in first and second years grounds your understanding of topics in later years. Take computer graphics for example, you are taught about matrices in first year, an entire module, and yeah by the end of it you understand what a matrix is and that it has some use in games. But then when it comes to coding up a scene/animation in C++ your knowledge of how matrices/vectors work and interact acts as a foundation for your assignments.

Another thing worth mentioning is that in UCD there is an elective system, so while 10 of your 12 modules are in CS, you can pick two other electives each year from anywhere in UCD, sometimes it can be more of a hindrance than a help if it so happens you don't get the ones you wanted, but the choice is there. So over the fours years you will do 8-9 Maths Modules, 30-31 CS Modules and a Final Year Project worth 3 modules. Along with 6 Electives.

To reiterate what mhangasor was saying, yeah there are some terrible lecturers, but theres good and bad in everything, and in my opinion the good outshine the bad. You look forward to lectures when the person speaking is enthusiastic and helpful.

Since I've only studied in UCD I can't comment as to whether other colleges are better, all I can say is that CS in UCD is getting better each year. Our year, 2010-2014 was the first year to do the current CS course, DN201. And at the end of every year we give feedback on our modules, on how they were for content and what the lectures were like. Now there are things they can't change, lecturers personalities are one, but the things they can change they do their very best to do so. So our year has had it the worst in terms of being the "guinea pigs" for DN201 but we've helped pave the way for a better course.

As far as job prospects go, right now we are in the prime job hunting phase of our college year, both looking for and being sought after by ways of careers fairs and guest speakers. All I can say is there is plenty of work out there, and as long as you are willing to lower your standards just a little (Googlers) you will find a job no problem. It might sound cocky but the reality of it is not where will you get a job, but what kind of work your interested in pursuing and to a degree who you would like to work for. At any one time there are thousands of job offers in Ireland, and with companies like HubSpot and Intercom.io opening new offices in Dublin the prospects are ever improving.

I personally chose to pursue computer science not because I loved computers (which I did) but because I wanted to do something challenging and dynamic, similarly to the world of Electronic Engineering, I didn't want to be doing the same thing year after year, CS is a huge area of study, and is ever expanding, so what you learn this year isn't always the same as what lies around the corner. The fundamentals never change but they are the foundations which are used to broaden the horizons, what makes CS dynamic is the seen at the forefront, things like Machine Learning and Virtual Reality are some of the most interesting topics being studied right now.

This information is exactly what I needed to know! I know this may be stupid but you said we can pick two other electives each year from anywhere in UCD. Does this mean I can pursue German and History as electives for 3rd level? If so that would definitely sway me for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mhangasor

I am a second year student of CS in UCD.

There is already a thread about UCD computer science that was active recently so if you look for that you might find help! I've posted lots in it!

In relation to your CS vs CA question, I think it's really just a name and it depends on what college you go to. Are you referring to CA in DCU vs CS in UCD? If so, I believe DCU's course is overall much easier compared to UCD's. But I think UCD's is generally seen as better? Not 100% though, someone else might want to comment on that. Don't know too much about DCU's course.

And yes, you could easily do german or history electives if you so wish!

If you want any help or have specific questions give me a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Dave26992 wrote: »
    As far as job prospects go, right now we are in the prime job hunting phase of our college year, both looking for and being sought after by ways of careers fairs and guest speakers.

Any chance you could post some links? Or are you on a different mailing list from me? Haven't heard of any fairs or speakers since.... February I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

Dubstarts was on recently, but other than that I haven't heard of much recently, now that it's coming to exams I've dropped the job search, I made the above post a while ago and I just copy-pasted it from before

• Advertisement
Advertisement