Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Dutch Windmill

Options
  • 26-04-2014 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all

I want to try building my own dutch style windmill to use as a water pump. I only have 2/3 feet high in mind. I was thinking using something like a bicycle chain to rotate pots, collecting from below and dumping up higher.

Does anyone know of any plans that are available for this kind of thing?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I made a turbine to pump water for my degree several moons ago

best advice I can give is that a dutch style wont work well at ground level near any other structures. All the horizontal turbines are really poor with turbulent air

a savonis rotor is going to do you much better

Savonius_turbine.gif

Secondarily, you might have more luck with a drill pump and possibly a gearbox to up the torque. the gear pumps work ok at low rpm

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nekuchi

Cheers for that. I'll change my design to suit, although I'm not much of an engineer so I'll have a word with someone who's a bit more savvy than me ;-)

Advertisement