Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cancelling old age pension

Options
  • 26-04-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all, my Nana passed away this week. I am just wondering if any one can tell me how do we go about cancelling her old age pension. I had a quick look on Citizens Information but it is not 100% clear. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hi all, my Nana passed away this week. I am just wondering if any one can tell me how do we go about cancelling her old age pension. I had a quick look on Citizens Information but it is not 100% clear. Thanks in advance.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of you Nana. Hope you are doing okay :)

In all cases re: Welfare, you must inform the Department of Social Protection of the recent bereavement.

Perhaps call in, in person, maybe bring another relative in with you and inform them in person then of your recent loss. They may require a death-cert but will inform you on meeting you what's required to cancel anything.

Hope that's of some help,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

I lost my Dad last Sunday and yesterday we canceled his pension. All my Mam had to do was ring the office in Sligo (?) and they took care of everything for her over the phone which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Starmcmahon14

Moocifer wrote: »
    I lost my Dad last Sunday and yesterday we canceled his pension. All my Mam had to do was ring the office in Sligo (?) and they took care of everything for her over the phone which was great.

So sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope you are coping okay. Thank you for your reply I will call them on Monday. So sorry again for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭RMC10

So sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope you are coping okay. Thank you for your reply I will call them on Monday. So sorry again for your loss.

Do make sure you call them on Monday. This was one of the first things I did for my dad as I was advised that you would have to refund any excess monies paid after the date of death. You just don't want that hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭missjm

Drop into the DSFA. They are very good with things like that in my experience and deal sensitively with it. The lady I met with at my time of bereavement took care of everything and even made me aware of things I didn't know. To be fair, they made it so little hassle compared to other things like phone co., ESB etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Bit late for the OP at this point. But the numbers for the social welfare offices in Sligo are

Tel:(071) 915 7100
    Locall:1890 500 000

I deliberately waited four weeks to stop the pension after my mum's death. I needed the cash for funeral bills and such. The office was very understanding and it was another couple of months before they collected the overpayment. But as soon as possible is advisable because they will collect on overpayments.
    They didn't need a death cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/death_related_benefits/social_welfare_payments_following_a_death.html

Some social welfare payments can continue after someone dies. That is, where someone who was getting a certain social welfare payment dies, their spouse, civil partner or cohabitant may get 6 weeks of this payment after the death.

Advertisement