Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finally got my ZX9 rebuilt!

• 26-04-2014 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Most of you know, but for those who don't, I was in a bad accident 18 months ago. The bike was wrecked and I was left with a number of broken bones, including 4 breaks in the collarbone alone. As I lost my job after and been out of work since, it's been a struggle getting the money to put her back together. So, I ordered it a part or two at a time as I got the money together. The headlight came from Connecticut, USA, the radiator and cables/footpegs/brake levers etc. from Paddy Costello in Tullamore, the exhaust fixed and modified by Gizmo in Dublin and the plastics from Hong Kong (Auctmarts).The final bits (the plastics) arrived on Wednesday and I've been putting her back together since. Below are the before, during and after pics, including the finished product.

This is my bike about two years ago..

304618.jpg

This is the day after the accident...

304619.jpg

I got her back to the house and stripped off the broken bits to see what was left to work with...

304620.jpg

I brought her into the kitchen for a full stripdown and clean before I started fixing her up...

304621.jpg

And finally, this was taken yesterday after two and a half days piecing her back together. Happy enough with the result, she seems to be running well and the new stubbied exhaust sounds savage!! :D:D

304623.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nice to see. Best of luck with her :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

****in delighted for you John, savage work. Your some man with the tools fair play.....she is looking double well and just in time for the summer!

Best of luck and no more looking at women when keeping her lit.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Good stuff, P.K.M.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I've still got some spare bits for a ZX9R if you ever get stuck..your well come to them.
    Great job btw, a beauty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Doom, would you happen to have the left front foot peg plate for sale? Mine's a B model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

That's a damn gorgeous bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Fair play man, enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Buffed out nicely man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Good work P.K.M.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Doom wrote: »
    I've still got some spare bits for a ZX9R if you ever get stuck..your well come to them.
    Great job btw, a beauty

Really? Looking for a thermostat switch if you have one! :D What else do you have?

Thanks lads. As much as I loved using her Super Four the last few months, I really missed the power of the 9. Can't wait to get the tax and insurance on it during the week and get out for a proper spin! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Class, great job. Well wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats a great job, I am curious how did the headlights work out from a country that drives on the right, Do they still dip correctly or did you have to tweak them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Very nice job, fair play. Looks easily as good as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

Well done man!
    Wear well

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Well done. That bike is now officially "Built Not Bought" She is a credit to you. I hope you enjoy every mile in her!

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats a great job, I am curious how did the headlights work out from a country that drives on the right, Do they still dip correctly or did you have to tweak them?

I asked about that and you're right, the beam will be pointing the "wrong way". I have to take her out at night this week to see how much. I was told beam deflectors will fix the problem.
    leppla wrote: »
    Well done. That bike is now officially "Built Not Bought" She is a credit to you. I hope you enjoy every mile in her!

Thanks a mill chief. Much appreciated.

roadsmart wrote: »
    Doom, would you happen to have the left front foot peg plate for sale? Mine's a B model.

I'll have a look.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

That looks SAVAGE, great work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Well done John :)

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    Well done John :)

Cheers Al. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Good job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

She looks great, well done! Just in time for the good weather too, I bet your itching to go for a blast!

Did you get new fairing's or repaired some?

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    She looks great, well done! Just in time for the good weather too, I bet your itching to go for a blast!

Did you get new fairing's or repaired some?

Aye, great timing! Have the annual trip to Sligo coming up, did it on the Super Four last year and with 12 other boyos on litre bikes, I spent a lot of time wringing the bike's neck. Should be able to do it on the ZX this year and stay with them a bit better. :D :cool:

I ordered the full 10 piece kit mate, but only really needed the nosecone and side panels. I left the tail piece as is, so I have a spare tail piece and mudguard should I need it.

P.K.M. wrote: »
    Aye, great timing! Have the annual trip to Sligo coming up, did it on the Super Four last year and with 12 other boyos on litre bikes, I spent a lot of time wringing the bike's neck. Should be able to do it on the ZX this year and stay with them a bit better. :D :cool:

I ordered the full 10 piece kit mate, but only really needed the nosecone and side panels. I left the tail piece as is, so I have a spare tail piece and mudguard should I need it.

I know the feeling, my fz6 use to scream with he rev's so high trying to keep up with some of the bigger bikes on spins, had a grin constantly though :)! The blackbird now gives me a different kind of grin now!

Did you order the Chinese fairings for fleebay? I also need a nose cone and right fairing thanks the recent storm :mad:.

Hopefully you wont need the spares...ever!

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    I know the feeling, my fz6 use to scream with he rev's so high trying to keep up with some of the bigger bikes on spins, had a grin constantly though :)! The blackbird now gives me a different kind of grin now!

Did you order the Chinese fairings for fleebay? I also need a nose cone and right fairing thanks the recent storm :mad:.

Hopefully you wont need the spares...ever!

Aye, hopefully not! :o

I ordered from a crowd called Auctmarts in Hong Kong. It worked out a lot cheaper. The plastic isn't as good as the originals (obviously) and they were a bit of a hoor to get on as some of the holes had to be drilled bigger etc, but it did the job. I got the full bolt kit and the headlight from Kawasaki in the US though.

P.K.M. wrote: »
    Aye, hopefully not! :o

I ordered from a crowd called Auctmarts in Hong Kong. It worked out a lot cheaper. The plastic isn't as good as the originals (obviously) and they were a bit of a hoor to get on as some of the holes had to be drilled bigger etc, but it did the job. I got the full bolt kit and the headlight from Kawasaki in the US though.

That's what's been putting me off from ordering it but I don't think I'm going to have much choice for the nose cone. Should be able to get the right fairing plastic welded and resprayed. No damage to anywhere else except the fairing so I was a bit lucky.

Doom wrote: »
    I'll have a look.

Sorry mate..don't have one.
    Sorry for delay too.

No bother, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

Delighted for you. :D

Advertisement