Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car carry

Options
  • 26-04-2014 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

hi guys - new to the forum.

I'm wondering what you all keep in your cars for the 'just in case' scenario?

its something that I'm thinking about a bit as I keep a bag for most of the mechanical issues I may face (phone chargers / oil / coolant / basic tool kit / etc) but nothing for the 'car is broken down in the middle of nowhere. I don't even have a map or compass!

Just looking for a steer really...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

CDs
    A book
    Assorted maps
    Car manual
    Two small torches
    Large torch and spare battery
    Wheelbrace
    Jack
    Spare wheel
    Jump leads
    Tow rope
    Bottle of water
    Can of Red Bull
    Motor oil
    De icer (since winter)
    Ice scraper
    Spare bulbs
    Mini tool kit (screwdrivers, pliers, etc)
    Waterproof Hi-Vis jacket
    Hi-vis vest
    Fire extinguisher
    Sat Nav and charger
    Phone charger
    Sunglasses
    Baseball hat
    sunblock
    Disposable camera
    blanket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

CDs
    A book
    Assorted maps
    Car manual
    Two small torches
    Large torch and spare battery
    Wheelbrace
    Jack
    Spare wheel
    Jump leads
    Tow rope
    Bottle of water
    Can of Red Bull
    Motor oil
    De icer (since winter)
    Ice scraper
    Spare bulbs
    Mini tool kit (screwdrivers, pliers, etc)
    Waterproof Hi-Vis jacket
    Hi-vis vest
    Fire extinguisher
    Sat Nav and charger
    Phone charger
    Sunglasses
    Baseball hat
    sunblock
    Disposable camera
    blanket

Most of the above but also.

First aid kit,
    Space blanket,
    Microfibre towel,
    Edo 8 hour candle
    Bottled water
    Kendal mint cake.
    Folding shovel

Rosahane wrote: »
    Most of the above but also.

First aid kit,
    Space blanket,
    Microfibre towel,
    Edo 8 hour candle
    Bottled water
    Kendal mint cake.
    Folding shovel

Forgot that I have a first aid kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What? No car battery charger?!? And jerry cans of fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

endacl wrote: »
    What? No car battery charger?!? And jerry cans of fuel?

having watched a car burn up while at a car park, there is no way that I'll ever put fuel in an unshielded can.

I have jump leads!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I also have a "safety" knife that I picked up at a trade show last year. I keep it in the door pocket beside me. Useless as a weapon, but perfect for cutting a seat belt in an emergency and within reach of the driver.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I also have a "safety" knife that I picked up at a trade show last year. I keep it in the door pocket beside me. Useless as a weapon, but perfect for cutting a seat belt in an emergency and within reach of the driver.

Might get one of these yokes.

1067799_All_Ride_Emergency_Hammer_Large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Might get one of --- yokes.

I keep meaning to get one of those. I have a little swiss army knife in the centre console but those things are better.

I was half wondering about having one of these in the boot, but was thinking maybe it was overkill?

Link

2-050F_M.jpg

Not sure which bricks and mortar hardware places sell this. I don't think that Woodies/Atlantic or B&Q sell it. Gets great reviews, I see, but maybe a bit pricey for what may be a glorified crowbar?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I was half wondering about having one of these in the boot, but was thinking maybe it was overkill?

Link

2-050F_M.jpg

Not sure which bricks and mortar hardware places sell this. I don't think that Woodies/Atlantic or B&Q sell it. Gets great reviews, I see, but maybe a bit pricey for what may be a glorified crowbar?

I bought one of those Stanley "fubars" about 3 years ago, got the mid sized one and use it when we're ripping out or doing some demo. Great tool for construction (or de-construction) but I'd imagine it's overkill for a car kit. Great pry bar, good nail puller, great at taking out studs or joists and brill for general mayhem. I got mine online.

• Advertisement

Great tool for construction (or de-construction) but I'd imagine it's overkill for a car kit. .

Yeah, probably right. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

make sure at least one of your torches is a head torch. If you have to do a tyre change on a dark road, you'll need your hands on the tyre and not holding a torch.....You'd need to be prepared to sleep in your car overnight if you get stranded so check out how the seats fold or recline...... Check your car's tool kit. Some cars have special wheelnuts that require adapters or special sockets to get them off so be sure that you have it and know how to fit it.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Tabnabs wrote: »

Personally id have the seatbelt cutter/window breaker attached to something like the seatbelt receiver because having it in the door pocket is great until you end up on your roof then god only knows where it will end up. If its attached to something it stands a better chance of being there when needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

ShadowFox wrote: »

I got some of these Hot Cans in Harvey Nichols a few months back, have two of them bangers and beans type in my ghb in the jeep. Tried a few different ones and their actually really good. Simple to use, no chemicals, open flame or fumes. Gets really hot and taste pretty good. Bit pricey but worth in imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Ive the following
    Jump leads
    Spare clothes & Shoes
    sleeping bag (often have to pull in for a kip when doing long ass days)
    small tools
    sat nav
    antifreeze/coolant
    Few books
    phone charger
    digital camera
    spare blokia type pay as you go phone
    Journal
    First Aid Kit
    Water
    Coffee
    thermal clothes
    wet gear
    baby wipes

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Steps Lightly

Bought an 07 Scudo ...pro converted... Very stealthy..white van but unobtrusive...perfect..travel the compass, the country.. Find a cottage somewhere quiet... Worse mistake ever..as an person who has come back and has no history....wrong height.. Wrong history..wrong everything..expensive mistake.

Seemed like a good idea at the time..!

Steps

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hatfry

Bought an 07 Scudo ...pro converted... Very stealthy..white van but unobtrusive...perfect..travel the compass, the country.. Find a cottage somewhere quiet... Worse mistake ever..as an person who has come back and has no history....wrong height.. Wrong history..wrong everything..expensive mistake.

Seemed like a good idea at the time..!

Steps

What

Sorry.. slight rant..

Obviously before you can need the car bag.. you need to have the car. Thought I'd made a brilliant decision..it covered all my needs and then some.. only to find out that I couldn't get it insured.. no history, wrong headspace. My most expensive mistake so far.. Live and learn.

Steps

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hatfry

Sorry.. slight rant..

Obviously before you can need the car bag.. you need to have the car. Thought I'd made a brilliant decision..it covered all my needs and then some.. only to find out that I couldn't get it insured.. no history, wrong headspace. My most expensive mistake so far.. Live and learn.

Steps
    What

• Advertisement

Apologies Hatfry

I recently bought the above vehicle, which is actually a professionally converted camper van to use as my Bug Out Vehicle and to travel around Ireland to find the perfect spot ( cottage with some acres ). Unfortunately, as a recent returnee I have no car insurance history and the insurance companies are telling me that they won't insure it as it needs to have a fold up roof ( minimum height restrictions )...which it does not. It's very discreet looking and most people would' nt clock it as a camper, meaning I could park up almost anywhere...

So it's now sitting in the underground car park..going nowhere fast...! and loaded up with every thing already mentioned by the other posters.

" All dressed up and nowhere to go "....upper lip trembling just thinking about it...

Hope this clarifies things.

Steps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

The first 2 attempts made no sense at all!! Haha

**** man thats crap, could you not just insure it as a van?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@steps, there has to be a way around it. Not every camper has a fold out roof and if you have a conversion certificate, especially if it's of UK origin, then you are not done for yet. Also, with regard to returnees, this was voiced on radio (it may even have been the Joe Duffy Show) very, very recently and it appears that returnees from Anglophone countries such as Australia, Canada and NZ can get insured here if they present a record of their insurance history, as insurance companies here are often subsidiaries of foreign companies anyway. I'd do some more research, especially with the camper operators here. I don't think you have a lost cause just yet.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

No one has said toilet roll, yet. Seriously very handy!

I've a LED Lenser hand torch and a Petzl head touch.
    Phone charger.
    A wind up torch with an FM Radio
    Two break down Triangles and 2 emergency lights
    A set of spare batteries for everything.
    A warm fleece and a rain coat
    An old pair of Canterbury tracksuit bottoms.
    A couple Hi His Vests
    Alcohol breathlizers in the glove box
    1 litre of Oil & Coolant
    Pair of warm gloves and a pair of garden gloves for changing a wheel
    A long armed lug nug wrench instead of the poxy one you get with the car, can also be used as a weapon!
    Tyre pressure gauge, a tyre pump and a digital tyre thread depth checker
    2 litres of water( for me or the car) and a few Nature Valley bars!
    A small camping towel and some travel size toiletries
    Glass hammer & seat belt cutter
    Some old programs from hurling matches and a Mens Health mazagine from about 6 yrs ago!
    Pen & a jotter.
    A Nokia 106 with a car charger. I've a Sim converter so my mini Sim from my usual phone fits.
    A roll of bin bags
    In Winter, I throw in an Ice Scraper and deicer.
    A Gerber version of a Leatherman and a double sided screwdriver.

The whole boot is lined with old car mats that have their uses too!

It might sound like a lot, but its spread out between the glove box and boot, and everything in the boot fits in an old backpack I used in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ChillMhantain

Don't think they've been mentioned yet:

Light sticks
    Emergency €
    Mouth wash (nice to freshen up if you spend the night in the car!)

Advertisement