Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in Apartment and poor reaction from Management Company

Options
  • 26-04-2014 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi
    2 months ago I had 2 bad floods in my apartment. The tenants at the time reported that the leaks occured when there was heavy rainfall.
    We contacted the property management company, who sent a surveyor out who could not find the source of the leak. We contacted someone ourselves who said the leak was coming from outside and not an internal issue.
    After a couple of weeks of trying the management company replied to say they thought the water was coming from a pipe in the internal wall, but would do no more until I took up the wooden floors and carpets. This I did.
    I got a company to come to the apartment and test all my pipes including the mains water. They confirmed the leak was not from the pipes. I ran the appliances and no leak.
    I noticed evidence of a lot of water on the balcony, the paving stones show white marks of dried "salt" ontop of the ones closest to the apartment. I noticed that all the balconies above are joined into a common downpipe that comes onto mine, and there is about 2 meters between the drain on my balcony and the downpipe. Plus the balcony is either flat or slightly towards my apartment (away from the drain).
    I pointed this out to the management companies surveyor, but they dont think this is the source of the leak, they want to eliminate the internal possibilities again. I told them I wanted to make a claim on the block insurance, but they told me yesterday that the insurance company wont entertain the claim unless the source of the leak has been found, and they were going to check the apartment upstairs again,
    Has anyone any advice on
    1: How do I get the management company to take the balcony possibility serious - they did say they would re-route the downpipe though
    2: Can I claim for the new floor from the block insurance
    3: Can I clam for loss of rental income if the balcony is found to be the issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Daithi1978 wrote: »
    1: How do I get the management company to take the balcony possibility serious - they did say they would re-route the downpipe though
    2: Can I claim for the new floor from the block insurance
    3: Can I clam for loss of rental income if the balcony is found to be the issue?

1: - contact the directors of the management company directly by registered post, and document your whole issue, including reports showing the water didn't come from within your unit. You can find their contact details via the CRO.
    2: - Possibly, but it will depend on the details of the block insurance policy, what is covered, what the excess is, etc.
    3: - You should have landlord insurance for this. I don't believe it would be covered in any way on block insurance.

Advertisement