Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best suppport for sweet pea?

• 26-04-2014 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

What is the best way to support sweet pea as they grow to their full height?

I've seen a circular tripod thing in the Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin, but I don't really like how it looks. I will be planting them along a brick wall that is about 15 ft long. I want to grow them in a row and not in the individual clusters I saw in the Botanic Gardens. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Some green garden netting on the wall works well..

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beffs

Is netting strong enough to keep them from falling over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

On my fence I have put in nails and used galvanised wire between the nails at about 6 inch spacing. I did not overly tighten the wire as that would pull the screws out of the wood.

You could do this easily in a wall by drilling holes and using screw eyes. Make sure the eyes are level to one another you could use proper heavy galvanised screw eyes (bit stronger than these) if it is a permanent feature:

http://www.thegardenshop.ie/screws.html

You could tighten the wire (if attached to a wall) by using a small piece of wood and wrap the wire onto it and continue to wrap until the wire is nice and taught.

Have my own sweet pea ready to go, lovely plant wouldn't be without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Beffs wrote: »
    Is netting strong enough to keep them from falling over?

Absolutely - it depends how frequently you secure it / how tightly you have it tensioned

Advertisement