Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

darkness to light run

Options
  • 26-04-2014 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I'm planning to do this run for the first time. I know it's not a competitive thing but was wondering is it timed etc like a normal road race? I'm doing it in honour of some family members but I think the chance of a PB will get me up before dawn ;-) Also, iv signed up already but am not sure about the tshirt etc, can it be collected on the day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Last year it wasn't timed and I don't think it will be this year either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

It's a charity event not a race, there isn't any timing or results and as far as I remember from the Cork one last year was ~5.5k in length. So afraid that PB will have to wait for an actual race :)

I'm doing it again this year as it's quite the unique event and for a very good cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, went to register myself and Mrs Vagga this morning, as it is a great cause and a special event, but as soon as you click on register on the site it goes to a 500 error page..

Will have to remember to try later..

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

They've just posted on Facebook that website experiencing technical difficulties and will advise later when back in action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Walkforestwalk

I ran in last year in Limerick. There were plenty running but majority were walkers I would say! There was a huge crowd there and it was hard to move out beyond the walkers. Anyway I timed it myself and had my PB. It was quite bizarre running in the dark and the rain but really enjoyable- still dark when I got back though- family members walked and seemed to notice the light more so

• Advertisement

Back working now, registered myself and Mrs Vagga [training for mini marathon!], a great cause and should be a special event given the fun nature and [less] fun start time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Registered for this last night, looking forward to it for the running jogging at an ungodly hour and also the route is not one I have ever done before so I am looking forward to that also. Finally, it is for a great cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Interesting - I see they are doing a 5km in Bray. Think I'll sign up for this. Seems like the funds raised are for Pieta House.

http://dil.pieta.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

donnacha wrote: »
    Interesting - I see they are doing a 5km in Bray. Think I'll sign up for this. Seems like the funds raised are for Pieta House.

http://dil.pieta.ie/

May do this in Bray, but holy moly the last time I ran up the Putland at 4 in the morning.........

........well that's better left for the After Hours forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭veggie newbie

I'm signed up for the Bray one too. Did the run in Phoenix Park last year, there was a great buzz, almost felt like we were going to a concert walking in the dark towards the music to get the our Tshirts.

Re the Bray route... is it definitely up Putland first and then down Herbert? We thought it was the reverse, up Herbert and down Putland. Can't see v well on my wee map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Looked like a much bigger crowd than last year at the Cork event in UCC earlier, will be interested to hear the final number. Different route as well, around 0.5k shorter than last year I'd guess. Thankfully the rain held off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I know there was roughly 800 registered at the Sligo one as of yesterday evening anyways.. and I'd say a few more on the night!

7Si9tk.jpg

First year doing it and really enjoyed it - and the rain stayed off thankfully!

86d2sm.jpg

Now for a few hours kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I was at the Kilkenny event this morning. 2,000 participants was the number quoted to me, which is a great number for a city size of Kilkenny. It was a well deserved reward for the committee and volunteers for hosting such a well organised event.

It's great to see support across the globe for a great cause, especially at that hour! Not only does it raise financial fund for a great cause but it also raises awareness, which I would imagine is very important due to the stigma that can be attached to depression and suicide.

I though the idea of running "Darkness into Light" at that time was so the run would be out when dawn breaks. I think it was still dark for most people when they got back. Not that it really matters - except it could have meant an extra 1/2 hour in bed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Did it In limerick and heard 10,000 people did it?! It was dark at the end still alright but I went back to meet people walking & there were way more walkers and I reckon for most of them it was bright by the end. Very well organised, massive breakfast rolls handed out at tHe end & tea/coffee (random big galaxy bars en route too from some nice people!) and a lovely gospel choir at the start. Thumbs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

The Journal are quoting 80,000, great event - very much enjoyed it

http://www.thejournal.ie/darkness-into-light-1457884-May2014/

Very happy to have done this overnight, a great event for a great cause..

Starting in total darkness and doing the run

Never seen to many people in the park, for any kind of event [was too small to see the popes concert there in 1979!]. Was great to see several generations of the same families doing the run...

I made it into my long run, so I did Darkness into Light with Mrs Vagga, but I ran down there and then home again afterwards, so LSR was done by 5am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Have done it every year. Numbers where down in Ennis but there was a new run in Kilrush this year and we got rain :( Still enjoyed it but hot-dog, chocolate muffin and apple tart is not the best breakfast in the world :)

Advertisement