Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is Kingsley reopening?

Options
  • 26-04-2014 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has heard when the Kingsley hotel might be reopening. I know it was bought last year and there is some activity there at the opened re work being carried out. Would be lovely if it was opened for the summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

its not been opened at all closed for good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Don't think they can get insurance. Planning permission should never of been granted there for that type of development. Its only a matter of time before it floods to that level again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is a real pity. It was a fantastic hotel with some of the best staff I have ever come across in all my travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The apartments have been in use for about a year now, they were hiring staff a few months back getting the place ready. Not sure what's happened since. The ballroom was lit up a few weeks back, looked great from across the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Did the sale to the kangs fall through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

yes it was flooded again a month ago underground carpark a swimming pool,,,,,,
    main buildling flooded as well,,,,, water running up the waste water system total disaster,,,,some planning done there,,,or not.

It is a real pity. It was a fantastic hotel with some of the best staff I have ever come across in all my travels.

It was well liked in the local area too, as they had quite good gym and pool, it is a shame but alas, you have a building that should never of been granted planning in a location about 100 mtrs from the county council office that granted it planning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

It was well liked in the local area too, as they had quite good gym and pool, it is a shame but alas, you have a building that should never of been granted planning in a location about 100 mtrs from the county council office that granted it planning :)
    [pedantic]the hotel is in Cork city[/pedantic]
    Agreed that it's was a poor decision to build there. While not as bad, County Hall was badly flooded in 2009 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

rcdk1 wrote: »
    [pedantic]the hotel is in Cork city[/pedantic]
    Agreed that it's was a poor decision to build there. While not as bad, County Hall was badly flooded in 2009 as well.

yes but I'd be willing to bet that the senior managers in County Hall don't have offices on the ground floor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

The Kingsley is in the City so Cork County Council wouldn't have been involved in its planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

evilivor wrote: »
    The Kingsley is in the City so Cork County Council wouldn't have been involved in its planning.

where are the city boundaries around there?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    where are the city boundaries around there?

Think they are more than half way out the "straight road" or I think its properly called carrigrohane road

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Oh that's a pity. I heard wrong so. Knew a crowd based in Beijing bought it last year and thought it was being reopened according to what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

angeline wrote: »
    Oh that's a pity. I heard wrong so. Knew a crowd based in Beijing bought it last year and thought it was being reopened according to what I heard.

They are doing a refurb at the moment and they made a management announcement recently of a "General Manager of the soon to be reopened Kingsley Hotel in Cork, the newest member of the Beijing-based Kang Family Worldwide Group."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Think they are more than half way out the "straight road" or I think its properly called carrigrohane road
    The junction with Inchigaggin lane is the city limit on the Straight Rd.

evilivor wrote: »
    They are doing a refurb at the moment and they made a management announcement recently of a "General Manager of the soon to be reopened Kingsley Hotel in Cork, the newest member of the Beijing-based Kang Family Worldwide Group."

Good to hear. It is being reopened so.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

yes it was flooded again a month ago underground carpark a swimming pool,,,,,,
    main buildling flooded as well,,,,, water running up the waste water system total disaster,,,,some planning done there,,,or not.

Really? I had not heard this. Heard they were working towards a June deadline to re-open. no mention of a recent flood.

Agree that it's in the firing line for future flood threats - not sure what they can do.

From the Savills link above:
    It was regarded as one of the finest five star hotels in Ireland prior to its closure.

LOL! Talk about poetic license. Nice hotel, but it was never THAT nice!

I mean 5 star = the likes of Hayfield Manor or these: http://www.fivestarireland.com/hotels-fivestar.html

Nice to see the Estate Agents have learned to cool the hype....:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

So I can look forward to sitting out in the hot tub in the rain by the banks of the Lee again. Happy days! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

blindsider wrote: »
    Agree that it's in the firing line for future flood threats - not sure what they can do.

They seemingly had adequate flood defenses, they were not deployed or deployed enough or in time or they failed unpon engagement.

I don't know anymore. But [theoretically obviously], if they had deployed the flood defenses that had been installed then they should have been adequate for the level of flooding that occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Building a 5 star hotel on a flood plain is a serious head scratcher. Having an underground car park there is even more stupid.

Flooding has progressively gotten worse in the city over the last few years and the Kingsley will once again be in the firing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

rob316 wrote: »
    Building a 5 star hotel on a flood plain is a serious head scratcher. Having an underground car park there is even more stupid.

Flooding has progressively gotten worse in the city over the last few years and the Kingsley will once again be in the firing line.

that depends on the ESB ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

I have passed there a lot recently.... only ever one or two vans outside... must be a slow refurb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

nobody clearly has a bloody clue whats going on there.

and fwiw, the kingsley has only been flooded the once since it opened and that was due to the letting off of water from the dam after a substantial build up due to high rain fall and the searching of the lee for a young boy.

before being built it was the public baths which were permanenty water logged, what with them being baths.

Advertisement