Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STARTING TRACTOR

• 26-04-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

John Deere tractor sitting as past 3 weeks without an exhaust,
    I went out this evening and turned her over but not start, hoping Its only a bad battery

I heard the water getting into exhaust manifold could cause damage but when turning over a bit would there be any harm done, if water did get it it would not try to star would it?

what do yous think

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

If enough water got into the engine through the exhaust, it would hydrolock the engine and stop the engine from turning.You could remove the injectors and then try to turn over the engine and if there is water in the cylinder, then the water will be released from there instead of possibly bending the conrod.

A similar thing happened to a dexta we had whereby a diesel shut off valve was not turned off and it locked up the engine.We had to bump start her down a hill to start her and the driver got a mouthful of fuel.I don't know how it did not bend the conrod that time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

jimmyw wrote: »
    If enough water got into the engine through the exhaust, it would hydrolock the engine and stop the engine from turning.You could remove the injectors and then try to turn over the engine and if there is water in the cylinder, then the water will be released from there instead of possibly bending the conrod.

A similar thing happened to a dexta we had whereby a diesel shut off valve was not turned off and it locked up the engine.We had to bump start her down a hill to start her and the driver got a mouthful of fuel.I don't know how it did not bend the conrod that time though.

you were lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭2pack

ok but its trying to turn over, if any damage was done it wouldnt turn over, it will fire any water there out now wont it? so i can try to start it again, cant i?

Yeah but how much is it turning over? Is it doing so as it normally does, or is it just giving a small turn and stopping? The water needs an exit,if there is any, it might not be able to go out the exhaust.

If you could rule out/in if the battery is good and if the starter/solenoid is working too before checking to see if there is water in the cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭2pack

jimmyw wrote: »
    Yeah but how much is it turning over? Is it doing so as it normally does, or is it just giving a small turn and stopping? The water needs an exit,if there is any, it might not be able to go out the exhaust.

If you could rule out/in if the battery is good and if the starter/solenoid is working too before checking to see if there is water in the cylinders.

hi, she a bit slow to start anyway and cranked her over and she started and some water shoot out of the exhaust, does that mean all is ok now, no harm done to engine

• Advertisement

Ah, so she started! Well thats good so.Yeah it sounds like there is no damage done.Did you keep her running for long? No knocking sound or any other metallic sound?

You do need to either get an exhaust with a turn on the end, or with a flap, or just put a baked bean can or similar on her though when stopped/laid up to stop water getting in, not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

you were extremely lucky if no water escaped into oil via half open valve when top of piston filled as happened a neighbour of mine, had something similar to you with tractor parked, no exhaust and engine had water in oil ,so he thought block was porous, he sold it, and chap who purchased drained sump and filter after paying for it, loosened injectors off head to leave out water and prevent starting. towed it a few hundred yards , refilled with oil and tightened up injectors and started.
    my advice, change oil and filter ASAP

Advertisement