Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring second year of college to go to Scotland

• 26-04-2014 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Has anybody here ever defered there second year of college? If so was it worth it? I am currently deciding whether to defer college for a year as I have the opportunity to work/live in Scotland. Also home life isn't fantastic so that is swaying my decision. I'm worried that I won't return to Ireland and complete my degree or I won't get a degree in Scotland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Deferring mid-degree is sort of unusual unless you're ill or there is a particular circumstance which leaves you with no choice. You would need the agreement of your college to do it (as they can make it as difficult or as easy as they like for you to come back and resume where you left off).

Is this Scottish opportunity a once in a lifetime thing? Is there no compromise regarding your living situation here that would mean you would be content to continue college until the end? Living abroad is great, personally I did it for years with no regrets, but suspending college to go might not be the best option long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shauna_94

pow wow wrote: »
    Deferring mid-degree is sort of unusual unless you're ill or there is a particular circumstance which leaves you with no choice. You would need the agreement of your college to do it (as they can make it as difficult or as easy as they like for you to come back and resume where you left off).

Is this Scottish opportunity a once in a lifetime thing? Is there no compromise regarding your living situation here that would mean you would be content to continue college until the end? Living abroad is great, personally I did it for years with no regrets, but suspending college to go might not be the best option long-term.

I have had a fairly rough year as regards to family and health issues. I do not see how it could work me to continue college here as every second threat from my parents is to kick me out of the family home so I feel as though maybe Scotland is a fresh start? I'm also worried that if I leave to work and I suppose love in Scotland I won't come back to finish my degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Scotland has colleges too so if you did love it over there and wanted to stay college doesn't need to end at the end of 1st year here. Are there no alternatives you could manage here - moving out etc?

Things will work out no matter what option you choose, you may look back and think you should have done xyz but you'll be ok. You sound resilient and smart and you have made it this far. Be sure that a bad situation doesn't push you into a bad decision though, as sometimes we can feel like we have no choice and end up making choices we might not otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shauna_94

pow wow wrote: »
    Scotland has colleges too so if you did love it over there and wanted to stay college doesn't need to end at the end of 1st year here. Are there no alternatives you could manage here - moving out etc?

Things will work out no matter what option you choose, you may look back and think you should have done xyz but you'll be ok. You sound resilient and smart and you have made it this far. Be sure that a bad situation doesn't push you into a bad decision though, as sometimes we can feel like we have no choice and end up making choices we might not otherwise.

I was thinking if I manage to get a deferral to take a year out if I manage to start a successful life in Scotland I will study over there, it's not the end of the world if I do not get a degree in Ireland. If not I will return to Ireland and hopefully work and return to college in Dublin, thanks for the advice.

Advertisement