Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a masters ?

Options
  • 27-04-2014 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a computer course in college and I'm wondering do I need a masters degree to get far in the field or would a bachelors degree level 8 be sufficient ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Here's my opinion, **** it. At your stage do a masters if you think you will learn things out of it that will give you a significant intellectual benefit. But with a degree already go find work? Do you have employers turning you down for a lack of a masters? Do you feel like you are missing a degree of expertise in your field?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

I'm doing a computer course in college and I'm wondering do I need a masters degree to get far in the field or would a bachelors degree level 8 be sufficient ?

yes, Bill G and Mark Z are shining examples...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

my friend wrote: »
    yes, Bill G and Mark Z are shining examples...

They arent examples, they are exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Started working after degree and did a Masters part time around 6 year later while working. Balls of a job time and effort wise. Do the Masters now while you have no commitments such as full time job or kids. In ten years you could be competing for a job against guys with Masters and they already have an advantage. All candidates being equal the one with the Masters (or phd) gets it. Do it now if you have the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Not especially, most employees want to see additonal certs such as the MCSA, oracle certs, linux certs, networking certs etc in the areas that you are most interested in!

• Advertisement
Advertisement