Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive and intimidating Landlord

Options
  • 27-04-2014 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am having the world of problems with my landlord. I was renting the property with my partner and out son. We have since broken up and I continued the lease with just me and my 3yr old little boy. He is continuously calling to the house, letting himself in unannounced and in feb he let himself in at night when I was in bed. That's when it started to get bad. I'm constantly looking for somewhere else to mine to and I don't want this to sound like a sob story but it's tough to save a deposit. I only work part time and am not in reciept of rent allowance ( pride will be my downfall )
    He started to say he hadn't received his rent and when I tried to give him confirmation from the bank he refuses to take it. He started to call a lot more always at night and was very aggressive, shouting and demanding cash. I don't have a rent book so am not willing to pay him cash. Anyway he was already paid. 2 wks ago I had to leave work twice as he was threatening to call to the house to get his cash. I told him I wasn't home but he said he didn't care. He never showed up. Then Easter Sunday night / Monday morning between 1.30am and 7am he called and put an eviction letter in my door. I put a security chain on the door because I can't sleep cause I'm afraid of him. Last Wednesday he text me when I was at work to say he was calling again I asked him not to told him I was at work but he was insistent. My baby sitter rang me to say he was at the house pounding on the door and continuously ringing the door bell he was really mad that the chain was on the door she called the guards and they asked him to leave. He text me Friday to say he was calling in an hr to cut the grass ( he has come through the house to get to the garden). I couldn't arrange anyone to be here with me so I told him it wasn't proper notice and not to call he called just after 7pm it was raining really heavily so it's not like he could cut the grass anyway but he just kept ringing the door bell and shouting to let him in I asked him to go away and after about 10mins he left. Tonight just after 8pm he put a letter through my door saying that by putting the chain on the door I was in breach of my contract and I was to remove it and repair the damage the screws had caused ( it's there to keep him out because I'm terrified of him) and that from May my rent payment day was changing from the 10th to the 1st. The reason I signed lease for rent to be paid on 10th is that's the day I get paid from work I won't have it on the 1st and I'm really afraid if I take off the chain he will come into the house again I don't know what to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Holy cow it sound like a horrible situation to be in. Regardless of the situation, the landlord should not be letting himself into the property. If you have not done so already you should report this to the guards. If you are not ready to do that yet, it might be worthwhile speaking to any of the following ptrb, threshold or citizens information, any of whom should be in a position to advice you of your legal rights. No one should have to put up with being intimidated in their home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

He text me Friday to say he was calling in an hr to cut the grass ( he has come through the house to get to the garden). I couldn't arrange anyone to be here with me so I told him it wasn't proper notice and not to call he called just after 7pm it was raining really heavily so it's not like he could cut the grass anyway but he just kept ringing the door bell and shouting to let him in I asked him to go away and after about 10mins he left.

''I couldn't arrange anyone to be here.....he just kept ringing the door bell.... I asked him to go away
    ''

I think you need to place all your cards on the table if you are genuinely seeking help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

I couldn't arrange anyone to be here with me

Miss that bit?

The OP was (rightly by the sounds of things) afraid to be alone with the landlord so didn't feel comfortable letting him into her home when she was on her tod.

Only advice would be to consult with the PRTB/Threshold etc, and to not be afraid to ring the guards anytime you feel threatened your landlord in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Like others have said, get in touch with the prtb and threshold. Also call the guards every time he comes around like that and keep a diary of all events. It's an awful position to be in, is there anyone you could look to to borrow the deposit for the next rental?

In the four years I've lived at my house, I've never had my landlord knock on the door. Holy crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dizzymiss wrote: »
    Like others have said, get in touch with the prtb and threshold. Also call the guards every time he comes around like that and keep a diary of all events. It's an awful position to be in, is there anyone you could look to to borrow the deposit for the next rental?

In the four years I've lived at my house, I've never had my landlord knock on the door. Holy crap.

echoing this. you mentioned not getting rent allowance as if that might be a possibility.

can you go and see the cwo in your area and explain what is happening; they can maybe help as there is a child involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Definitely leave the chain on, op.

In the mean time, get in touch with prtb/threshold.
    I would also get the gards involved anytime he calls to your place without adequate notice to report him for harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Just to clarify...there are no rent arrears or anything? He's just constantly calling? He sounds a bit mad to be honest. I'd be documenting every contact with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scaredmommy

There's no rent arrears I have paid but he says he doesn't have it. I have always paid the same way since moving here and there's been no issue I gave him
    The benefit of the doubt in march and kept ringing my bank saying he didn't have it but when he refused to take the confirmation no the bank gave me I knew he had it
    I really don't known what his issue is? Im keeping all his txts cause I think on Monday I'm going to have to go further. One thing I didn't mention is that he called one night at about 10pm
    To tell me I had to pay the property tax and I said no so he said he was deducting it from my deposit I'm afraid if I borrow a deposit from someone it would take forever to pay back. I have just emailed prtb and threshold now thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The guy is a knobhead. A total amateur. He also sounds like a school bully. Do you have any large male friends who could be called on to come round when he shows up at all hours next time? Just to let him know that you're not alone to be bullied, not to get physical with him or anything. A good stare from a large man might sort this bully out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Document all contacts. Do not delete any voicemails, texts or emails from him. Double-check your rent situation and make sure that you're paid up (even though it in no means excuses his behaviour). Open a dispute with the PRTB. Call the Gardai every time he calls to the door uninvited. Feel free to use 999 for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Poppy1234

wow...so sorry for your troubles. Do you have a printed lease agreement? Rent book? These things are required by law and he must give you adequate notice before coming to the property. Also, the onus is on the landlord to pay the property tax, not the tenant. In fact, the tenant has more rights than the landlord from what I've read so the answer for you is to make sure you know your rights and stand on them. When I rented a few years ago I had some trouble with the landlord when I gave my notice to leave. She said that she was going to keep the deposit for repairs even though I had left the property in a better condition than I'd found it in. I heard that she had done the same to two previous tenants so I just left without paying the last months rent and allowed her to keep the deposit so neither of us was out of pocket. I don't know if it was legal...just fair and logical in my eyes! Somehow you're going to have to find your strength to deal with this challenge and the first place to start it to educate yourself as to your rights. Usually, if you can quote law, these type of losers back down because they don't know what to do with that! And, as previous posters have written, involve the guards and keep a log of everything. If you have a mobile phone that can record, I would absolutely make a recording of him knocking at the door and shouting as this recording will automatically have a time stamp and help you legally. Best of luck to you and I hope you get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

murphaph wrote: »
    The guy is a knobhead. A total amateur. He also sounds like a school bully. Do you have any large male friends who could be called on to come round when he shows up at all hours next time? Just to let him know that you're not alone to be bullied, not to get physical with him or anything. A good stare from a large man might sort this bully out.

Don't think escalating this would be wise. The loon will just extrapolate it into further justification for their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Poppy1234 wrote: »
    wow...so sorry for your troubles. Do you have a printed lease agreement? Rent book? These things are required by law and he must give you adequate notice before coming to the property. Also, the onus is on the landlord to pay the property tax, not the tenant. In fact, the tenant has more rights than the landlord from what I've read so the answer for you is to make sure you know your rights and stand on them. When I rented a few years ago I had some trouble with the landlord when I gave my notice to leave. She said that she was going to keep the deposit for repairs even though I had left the property in a better condition than I'd found it in. I heard that she had done the same to two previous tenants so I just left without paying the last months rent and allowed her to keep the deposit so neither of us was out of pocket. I don't know if it was legal...just fair and logical in my eyes! Somehow you're going to have to find your strength to deal with this challenge and the first place to start it to educate yourself as to your rights. Usually, if you can quote law, these type of losers back down because they don't know what to do with that! And, as previous posters have written, involve the guards and keep a log of everything. If you have a mobile phone that can record, I would absolutely make a recording of him knocking at the door and shouting as this recording will automatically have a time stamp and help you legally. Best of luck to you and I hope you get it sorted

That is not legal and is not to be encouraged on this forum either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

This is not normal behaviour. Everytime he turn up call the guards. Look for somewhere else to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Deny all permission for him to come into the house unless its an emergency of course. You have a right for peaceful enjoyment of your home. Its your home not his.

He cant change the payment date without your agreement.

Call the Guards everytime he comes around.

Lodge a formal complaint with PRTB.

Keep a log of all contacts with him.

Speak with your local CWO about getting re-housed. Swallow your pride and apply for rent allowance.

Btw you have no chance of getting the deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Then Easter Sunday night / Monday morning between 1.30am and 7am he called and put an eviction letter in my door.
    Does he have proof you received the letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

On top of the previous advice I would either change my number and inform him all future correspondence must be in writing and access to the property will only be granted when proper written notice is received. If you dont want to change your number just tell him you will not answer calls or texts and to write to you should he wish to contact you. Keep any / all letters.

Thanks guys for all your advice
    Busy day tomorrow... Have packed up stuff I don't use regularly
    ( pride also packed) first job visit the CWO, then off to PRTB
    have been stalking daft and home.ie and fingers crossed I think I have something
    Has anyone ever had issues with a new landlord/letting agent requesting a reference from previous landlord (he's defo not going to give me one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Has anyone ever had issues with a new landlord/letting agent requesting a reference from previous landlord (he's defo not going to give me one)

Tell them why you're moving and why you can't give them references. Believe me landlords and agents will know the bad ones! If that doesn't work, write your own or get a family member to write one. Most people won't mind as long as they've something to see you're paying all your rent and such. Bring bank statements as well to show your paying your rent and what not (just black out other transactions)

• Advertisement

I have a reference from work. And from a local charity I fundraise for will get bank statements printed tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

I have a reference from work. And from a local charity I fundraise for will get bank statements printed tomorrow

It's madness to think you couldn't stay in your house and not be worried about who you're renting off. Madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Opeven if you move you should definitely follow through with a complaint to the PRTB who will get your deposit back and may also get you compensation for an illegal eviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Not doubting your story whatsoever OP but are you sure he has received his rent money over the past few months? As in there hasn't been some issue with the direct debit/his account/your account?

It's rare but these things can happen. I previously had a problem with Three mobile insisting dd's had not being received despite the fact that the money had left my account. Not sure what the cause was but AIB acknowledged the fault and fixed it for me.

Clearly he sounds like a loon but a lot of it sounds like OTT actions of somebody who hasn't been paid.

If not he's a complete nutcase and a bully and I would be taking legal action against him..

Advertisement