Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local hotel owner praised for cancelling auction of family farm.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

"family farm" is there such a thing its business isn't it not just a family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

As someone who sees distressed mortgages every day at work I can tell you with certainty that (for the bank I work at) the 'won't pays' far outnumber the 'can't pay'.
    It is wrong to renege on your debt, if you can pay it you should.

Indeed, why should the borrower get off scot free?
    The borrower isn't getting off scot free, they pay out a considerable sum to be told by the bank that the money they have paid means nothing, where is the rest of it. I'm not arguing the bank shouldn't get paid or the people owing money shouldn't pay, I'm just saying a family shouldn't be thrown out of a house just to satisfy a banks ledger. The banks have contorted the system wildly in their favour and actively brought about the collapse by their actions.

The only reason people can't pay is because they bought into the banks mantra that everything was rosy and always would be. So feck the banks, they can wait for their money and next time maybe they'll be more cautious with their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When the people saved the banks' asses by paying THEIR debts, it hardly seems unreasonable to demand that they cut those people some slack.
    Why the f**k should those who can pay their loans reward those who cannot repay their loans?
    *coughcoughbondholderscoughcough*
    Andiftheywerenotpaidwherewouldwegetloansfrom?
    Presumably they'd collapse, and good f*ckig riddance to them.
    And again, where would people get their loans from?

And before you say something along the lines of "foreign bankers", who in their right mind would lend to a nation who never repays their loans?
    maryishere wrote: »
    when evicting someone in a county where bloody apartments built 8 years ago now only sell for a quarter of their sale price then
    Only of any relevance if the person who bought the apartment wanted to sell it at a later stage. They house purchaser gambled, and they lost.
    when elderly pensioners who had their life savings in shares in the bank had that wiped out
    You gamble to make money. Unfortunately, high reward comes with high risk. They could have bought lower risk to gain less, but unfortunately this didn't happen.
    I cannot understand why people, whose children have had to go to Australia (and I met many of them there) , have not risen up against the bankers.
    A VERY nice social welfare package has so far stopped the rioting. Bring it down to the same level as the brits, and you may see some of them getting some protests together.
    the pain should be shared between both parties which made mistakes in the boom.
    I assume you are including all those that bought houses and have paid them off, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

As someone who sees distressed mortgages every day at work I can tell you with certainty that (for the bank I work at) the 'won't pays' far outnumber the 'can't pay'.

yeah, i bet they do, wouldn't be good for a bank employee to admit that the bank f//ked up up now would it
    Indeed, why should the borrower get off scot free?

if they are to lose everything then so should the bank, thats of course if you believe the whole thing is a gamble which many do in relation to the borrower but funnily enough not the bank

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the_syco wrote: »
    Why the f**k should those who can pay their loans reward those who cannot repay their loans?

rewarding? really? because someone else payed in full does not mean those who find themselves being unable to pay or pay as much but who are willing to do a deal with the bank shouldn't be cut some slack, banks who were bailed out by the tax payer deserve nothing to be easy for them, they need to be made to realize hard that they cannot be able to bring the country down and lend reclessly.
    Only of any relevance if the person who bought the apartment wanted to sell it at a later stage. They house purchaser gambled, and they lost.

so did the bank, if the house purchaser gambled then so did the bank
    You gamble to make money. Unfortunately, high reward comes with high risk. They could have bought lower risk to gain less, but unfortunately this didn't happen.

the bank could have given out less and did more checks, but they didn't

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Reading all of the above one can happily state that Ireland is full of self serving b**terds. Moral compasses only have the "me" as North.

I blame the general upbringing and religion.

Advertisement