Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex is cohabiting. How would their means be assesed?

Options
  • 27-04-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows how this works re paying child maintenance?

Is it just down to his income, or his household income?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In the cases that I know it was household but not sure if that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Co-habitation could bring down his cost of living as bills are cheaper when paid by more than one person but there's no way his partners income would feature in any assessment of his means.

His new partner has no financial obligation towards his child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Of course not. I'm just wondering as if I'm means tested it is the on the household income, not just my income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Of course not. I'm just wondering as if I'm means tested it is the on the household income, not just my income.

Why would it be the household income when the other person has no obligation towards the child?

No idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Why would it be the household income when the other person has no obligation towards the child?

It works that way for social welfare assessment already.

It might work that way for calculation of entitlement to social welfare but if someone was fully dependent on their partner and had no income of their own there'd be no chance of getting maintenance from them.

That's how I'm reading it, yet if I was cohabiting my partner's income would be taken into account, when he also would have no obligation to support my child.

Your partners income would be taken into account in those circumstances if you had no income of your own as by co-habiting you'd be his/her dependent and not entitled to welfare. Otherwise, your means assessment would be the same as it always is: income less living expenses.

Advertisement