Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying property in unfinished estate.

Options
  • 27-04-2014 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I am planning to buy a house and use my money that I have saved in the last 10 years and I would really hate living in an estate where most of the houses are social houses.

Why should i spend all my hard earned money and live besides somebody who got my same house for a very different price? :-(

Is there any way I can find out in advance if I am buying in an estate where the house are council houses?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I might be wrong but I thought 10% of the houses in new estates went to the council? There's an estate near me where houses were really sought after in the boom paying huge prices to live in this prestige place but now there are at least 20 council houses dotted in it and some look so run down and prices have dropped massively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

As far as I know , a condition of planning permission for housing estates stipulate that 10% of the build must be allocated for social housing. I've read recently though that the government want to reduce this quite to 5%, nit sure if it's been implemented though. I've known estates with integrated social housing units and everyone seems to get along just fine !
    You could ask the local council or the EA/developer about the social housing element of the estate if any ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IN most council estates, 90 per cent of houses have been bought from the council,
    by long term tenants,
    So its not like they got the houses for nothing.
    I know some estates, the average age is 30 plus,
    kids have grown up.
    so it looks like a private estate.
    Certainly better than an unfinished estate.
    IF the council owns a house they are reponsible for repairs.
    Last week it was announced government is giving 13million to dublin city council to repair empty houses and flats.

I know estates that were built with no council houses, developer would give a site in another area
    The buyer of a council house would probably have lived in it for years ,
    and paid rent before they bought it.

to the council,or pay a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bandidos wrote: »
    Why should i spend all my hard earned money and live besides somebody who got my same house for a very different price? :-(

Because that's life. I paid a fraction for my house compared to someone down the road (135 vs 315) because I bought in 2012 and they bought in 2007. Not my problem.

Do you get troubled that someone in the seat beside you on a plane might have paid €9.99 compared to €200+?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF You buy a house now, its probably at least 40 per cent cheaper than the boom
    2007 price.
    Other people on the street maybe have mortgages larger than the present house value, if they bought between 96 and 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP your opening post and your thread title don't match.
    Is your concern that you may have to share your neighbourhood with those availing of social housing or is it buying in unfinished estates that may not be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hello,

I am planning to buy a house and use my money that I have saved in the last 10 years and I would really hate living in an estate where most of the houses are social houses.
    From what you write, I'm guessing that you're wondering what's to stop the houses in a half-built estate from being sold off cheaply to be social housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Is there any way I can find out in advance if I am buying in an estate where the house are council houses?

Well, you could do it the same way as the rich do: buy an extremely large mansion with no neighbours. It's a different kind of estate - only one house on a large plot of land.

What's wrong with people who live in social housing? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

the_syco wrote: »
    From what you write, I'm guessing that you're wondering what's to stop the houses in a half-built estate from being sold off cheaply to be social housing?

its a reasonable concern. I've lived in mixed estates of social & private houses and worked out fine and I agree with the mix as required by planners but i would be concerned were I living in an unfinished estate and the local authority bought the unfinished part as a job lot and used for social housing , the 10% mix i would have no problem with but i can understand why some people would have concerns for the value of their property should a disproportionate number of the units go into local authority ownership

Advertisement