Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallow/Charleville clubs

Options
  • 27-04-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to find some clubs near Mallow.

Ones I'm interested in/looking for.

Martial arts (not just fitness types, I like to spar)
    Book clubs
    walking
    mountain biking

I'm not really having much luck with google search, but I find it hard believe that there's no local clubs.
    Any details, names/numbers you could give would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Walking:
    http://www.ballyhourabears.com

The Ballyhoura Mountains are great for mountain biking also, and have many trails. I don't know about any clubs but we often come across lone bikers there when out walking during weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 D76

Martial Arts - charlevilletkd.com

Mountain Biking - visitballyhoura.com/index.php/mountain-biking/ contact Ballyhoura Developmenrt on 063-21008

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The people in the Ballyhoura area have shown great community development and have really put that area on the map. Great outdoor pursuits, cycling, hill walking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

Is there any directory of clubs for these areas?

I've been looking for my children and it seems impossible unless you know somebody already in a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I know of the ballyhoura's and go there often enough, but I was more hoping there might be hill walking/cycle groups.

Just would like ways of meeting people with similar interests and all that.

Thanks for the replies though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

I know of the ballyhoura's and go there often enough, but I was more hoping there might be hill walking/cycle groups.

Just would like ways of meeting people with similar interests and all that.

Thanks for the replies though.

Try meetup.com. Lots of hill walking groups on there, there are definitely some in Cork but not sure about the Mallow/Charleville area, you might have to travel a bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

If you wanted to try something a little different, both Charleville and Mallow have toastmasters clubs (I'm a member of charleville so declaring interest...). You are not expected to speak at any meeting unless you decide to and its a great night of interesting topics and discussions. It is very good for increasing confidence in public speaking, communications, meeting management and thinking on your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

oakshade wrote: »
    If you wanted to try something a little different, both Charleville and Mallow have toastmasters clubs (I'm a member of charleville so declaring interest...). You are not expected to speak at any meeting unless you decide to and its a great night of interesting topics and discussions. It is very good for increasing confidence in public speaking, communications, meeting management and thinking on your feet.

toastmaster?.... have you got any website links, what you do as such/what is it like?
    Also time/day of the week?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

toastmaster?.... have you got any website links, what you do as such/what is it like?
    Also time/day of the week?

thanks

So Toastmasters is all about public speaking, communication and thinking of your feet.

Meetings take place in the evenings (Charleville 8pm every second monday, almost certain that Mallow is on Tuesdays). Take a look at www.toastmasters.ie for more details for feel free to PM me for Charleville details.

The Meetings follow quite a formal process (President, timekeepers etc) but its only to keep things on track.

They open with topic sessions (for example: If you could live in any country in the world, where would you live and why) the selected person much speak on the topic for 2 minutes (you become very good at thinking on your feet). This usually runs for 20-30 mins.

Topics are usually followed by 3 speeches. Speeches are delivered based on a workbook that participants follow and you receive a toastmasters qualification upon completing 10 speeches.

There is also a coffee break, evaluation session and regular competitions. No one is asked to speak unless they want to.

Personally I think its good fun (I'm in my 30's - in Charleville we have members from 20 something to 70 something, Mallow is the same). You can get a lot out of it, lots of people join to increase confidence etc.

Let me know if you need any more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

There's a camera club in Mallow.. http://mallowcameraclub.org/

• Advertisement
Advertisement