Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting 3-bed apartment into 2-bed

Options
  • 27-04-2014 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi
    I had a previous thread about knocking walls in my apartment to make open plan space. Unfortunately it looks like this might not be possible due to fire regs in apartments.

My apartment is large with 3 double bedrooms and a large living room. The kitchen is very small and is an unsocial space. The other alternative suggested by architect is to convert a bedroom into large kitchen/diner and knock through into living area. The current kitchen doesn't have a window so this would be used as utility/storage as it wouldn't be suitable as a bedroom.

I have no plans to move in the future. Apartment is in negative equity but this doesn't worry me at present because I don't want/need to move. I know everyone says you shouldn't worry about resale value and to make the space work for you now. However circumstances can change quickly.

So my question is would a 2 bed apartment with large sociable living space (and good storage) be more/equally desirable as a 3 bed with small separate kitchen? I'm thinking about future resale and rental opportunities.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Is this in a managed development? If so, you would need authorisation from the management company. Planning permission may also be required, depending on the changes. There are also fire regulations, structural considerations and a lot more to consider.

It's highly unlikely you would be granted permission to change though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Roo0

Thanks for your response. I am fully aware of fire/building regs and I won't be proceeding without relevant sign offs.

That wasn't my query though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Roo0 wrote: »
    So my question is would a 2 bed apartment with large sociable living space (and good storage) be more/equally desirable as a 3 bed with small separate kitchen? I'm thinking about future resale and rental opportunities.

It is really hard to say. Some people prefer a more open plan, while others would more require a 3 bed unit.

With a 3 bed, you can rent rooms individually, so fit more people in and potentially get more rent. But, with a two bed of more open space, it may appeal to those who can afford that same rent.

It's one of those open questions that would be hard to answer.

Personally, I prefer more open space, but my last place had a tiny kitchen that did me fine, but I had large open main room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Roo0

Paulw wrote: »
    It is really hard to say. Some people prefer a more open plan, while others would more require a 3 bed unit.

With a 3 bed, you can rent rooms individually, so fit more people in and potentially get more rent. But, with a two bed of more open space, it may appeal to those who can afford that same rent.

It's one of those open questions that would be hard to answer.

Personally, I prefer more open space, but my last place had a tiny kitchen that did me fine, but I had large open main room.

Thanks. That's exactly like mine is now, small kitchen but large living space. I feel like I'm causing hassle for myself even thinking of the changes when the kitchen I have now is perfectly functional. I think I'll contact an estate agent and get their opinion on what sells/rents better in the area.

Advertisement