Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events

Options
  • 27-04-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Anyone here got any upcoming running events?

I have signed up for the Nike She Run (10km) on Saturday evening in Sydney. Really looking forward to it, there should be a great atmosphere.

A friend has asked me to run the Asics Half Marathon with her in the Gold Coast on the 6th July. I'm considering it but I don't know if I have enough time to train for it, ive never ran past 12 km so I think it might be abit much for me!!

Where's everyone's favourite routes to run? Personally, I love running from Coogee to Bondi, the scenery is fab.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If you can do 10km you should be able to do 1/2 in May, I was in a similar boat, I never ran then start building up slowly did a city2surf then did a half. You'll have plenty of time to train for it.
    Bondi - coogee is beautiful
    But if you live the inner wrest park run is a great little group http://www.parkrun.com.au/stpeters/ I used to do it when lived in Newtown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

I normally just run from my house into Perth city along the cycle paths.

Have done a few events from http://www.runningcalendar.com.au/ Did a 10k run this morning with them actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

The Bay Run around Drummoyne, Balmain, Rodd Point is my personal favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

Anyone in Melbourne fancy a jog with Sonia O'Sullivan and a great mornings Craic then this is for you!

run4ec.com.au

5km or 10km

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Centennial park in Sydney is a great place to go for a run. Loads of different routes to take and of course the run around the Domain over looking the harbour is not too bad either. Bay run looks cool http://www.bayrun.com.au/wp-content/uploads/map.jpg
    Good warm up for city 2 surf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

This is free, I met the guy who runs it a couple of weeks back. All free and seems to get good numbers - good for people who want to get involved in competitive running.

http://www.parkrun.com.au/

I somehow managed to drag all 90kilos of myself around the Sydney Marathon last year. I don't think it is a good course, Centennial Park segment of it is horrible and when you come down towards the Opera House you can see people running towards it.. unfortunately I was due to turn left where there is an additional 11km awaiting you!

City2Surf is okay, just an excuse for most to get on the batter. Spend most of your time weaving through people and Heartbreak Hill does exactly what it says on the tin.

I like doing the Bay Run around Blackwattle, to extend it run up through Drummoyne over the ANZAC Bridge then you have a lovely flat run in and out of all the Wharfs all the way up to the Opera House if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

So I completed the 10km run in Centennial Park in 52 minutes on Saturday night. It was a fantastic atmosphere and really well organised. Got loads of free stuff as well so it was well worth it :p

Afterwards, fuelled by adrenaline (and a fair few Tooheys New!), I agreed to do the Half Marathon in the Gold Coast so no turning back now :eek:. I checked up Hal Higdon's Training Program today and from the looks of it, Im halfway there but its gonna be an interesting 10 weeks getting to 21km!!

Great suggestions for runs, must try out the Bay Run. I also like running along the Cooke River in Marrickville and Earlwood, its nice and quiet. Any other suggestions for quiet routes to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

If you like Bondi to Coogee, the Coogee to Maroubra section is nice too, and much less busy. It's about 10k for a return trip from the North end of Coogee beach to the middle of Maroubra.

You have to go slightly inland for about 1km but most of it is right along the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

I love morning runs around Brisbane. Anytime before 7am is just beautiful!
    I normally stay around the southbank, kangaroo point, story bridge area.

I have done a good few 10k and half marathons on the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast but I'm looking a good marathon now. Any recommendations? I don't mind travelling if its a good set up and atmosphere!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

statina wrote: »
    So I completed the 10km run in Centennial Park in 52 minutes on Saturday night. It was a fantastic atmosphere and really well organised. Got loads of free stuff as well so it was well worth it :p

Afterwards, fuelled by adrenaline (and a fair few Tooheys New!), I agreed to do the Half Marathon in the Gold Coast so no turning back now :eek:. I checked up Hal Higdon's Training Program today and from the looks of it, Im halfway there but its gonna be an interesting 10 weeks getting to 21km!!

Great suggestions for runs, must try out the Bay Run. I also like running along the Cooke River in Marrickville and Earlwood, its nice and quiet. Any other suggestions for quiet routes to run?

If you can do 10k in 52 mins, you are more than capable of training for a half in ten weeks. best of luck with it

Anyone else running the SMH half in two weeks?
    hoping to break 2 hours this time (i'm pretty slow!!) but not too optimistic. Ran 2:07 last year for my first ever half but feel like I was fitter then than I am now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Windorah, how about the Sydney Blackmore Marathon in September?

http://www.sydneyrunningfestival.com.au/enter/marathon

Advertisement